1930v enough power for two riders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1930v enough power for two riders?

Have just aquired a 1930v that hasn't been run in 50-60 yrs. Plan to disassemble the engine and tranny and anything else that looks suspicious. It has a buddy seat but I noticed most pictures of these have a single saddle. My question is: When in running condition will this bike be a dog with two people on it? I understand that it wouldn't compare with anything made recently but would you be in first gear on a grade?

Dear Hoghead, you'll be surprised. The VL is 220 pounds lighter than a Heritage Softtail Classic and that old 74 cubic inch flathead pulls like a freight train. The bikes were geared for dirt roads and will take taller gearing today, but of course it depends on how steep your grades are as to what gear you need to select. You have the earliest Harley you can ride every day at highway speeds, and you should have a lot of fun to look forward to.

Comment

Hi Hoghead, The question is how chubby are the two people? All jokes aside, in my mind you'll need to weigh up a few factors and then choose a geariong to suit. First I would think about open road cruising and balance that with pulling power. I like to sit on 95 - 100 kph so I have found that with a 25 tooth engine sprocket my VD sounds very comfortable on the open road and can take just about any climb in top gear. I weigh 80 kgs. The only time I need to change down to second is on mountain corners when I need to drop below 45 kph. Otherwise she will pull away again. Previously I ran a 23 tooth which made it pull even better but I wanted the lower revs at 100 kph so changed to the 25. I have mates with V's that run 23's and prefer that to the 25 and don't seem to worry about the extra revs at speed. I would be surprised that even with two on board you would ever need to drop to first.
      What Steve said is true. You have the earliest Harley you can ride every day at highway speeds and your V may become your favourite ride. Enjoy.

Comment

Thanks for the input Steve and Downunder. I converted 80kg to 175lb which is what I weigh. Sounds good. I plan on getting it on the road as soon as the mechanicals are sound. I'll look after the cosmetics later. I'm relieved to know it'll have some power.

Comment

I just put a sidecar on my 33VC and it will run 50-55mph all day long with the 23 tooth gear. I weigh 165 and have 140lbs of lead in the sidecar. I think the only issue you will see is how comfortable your passenger will be in such a close position to you on the buddy seat.
          Bob Selph
          1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
          1940 Sport Scout
          AMCA#15215

Comment

Hey hoghead and Bob how about some photos fo those VL's
            Chuck
            AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Dear All, here's some pictures of five VLs being cranked up to 100 mph this June:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8A4jM3A_yA

Three of the bikes had 25 tooth drive sprockets and two had special 27 tooth drives. There's more info on the Wheels Through Time website, and there should be an article in our next AMCA magazine.
              Last edited by Steve Slocombe; 08-25-2012, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Here is mine at Denton this year.
                Bob Selph
                1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                1940 Sport Scout
                AMCA#15215

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                  Dear All, here's some pictures of five VLs being cranked up to 100 mph this June:

Three of the bikes had 25 tooth drive sprockets and two had special 27 tooth drives. There's more info on the Wheels Through Time website, and there should be an article in our next AMCA magazine.
                  Fantastic job with those VL's Steve, nice to listen to some reasonable music in the back ground.........oh ya looked good in the cap
                  Chuck
                  AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to post the photo Bob real sharp looking sidecar rig you have there. Were you at Oley this year with out the sidecar?
                    Chuck
                    AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Hi Bob, She looks great, a real credit to you. the only thing that I noticed is the outfit's on the wrong side.

Comment

Steve. Have you done the speed test yet and how did they go. Just for curiosity, is the paint color scheme different for those on the old newsreel. Congratulations to you Steve for getting it started and all the work and to those that built the bikes. I wish I wasn't so far away and could see them all together. How about an Australian tour?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
                          Thanks for taking the time to post the photo Bob real sharp looking sidecar rig you have there. Were you at Oley this year with out the sidecar?
                          No I was not there. I only got to attend Denton. I am doing the Road Run in Oct in Maggie Valley. I will not have the side car on because of all the mountain roads. I can't imagine doing the Dragon with a hack!!
                          Bob Selph
                          1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                          1940 Sport Scout
                          AMCA#15215

Comment

Here's a pic of the 1930v if someone will tell me how to attach it

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post

Is that from the video we found at the National Archives? If so, looks great and love the way you edited the old newsreel footage together. Bikes look great.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
                              X