1940 U question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 U question

Does anyone have a 40U with correct 28 degree frame and 16" wheels and how does it handle?
    jackpot40U

Hi Jack.
    All frames from 1936 through 1940 are 25 degree rake.

There was a thread on here, (about a year or more ago), that someone posted a reply on 16 inch wheels in early frames. He was describing that he had two early bikes. One that was a 1940 that he had put 16 inch wheels on, and the other might have been 1939 with 18" wheels. If you go back through the threads you might find it under 1940 or maybe it was 1941 bent frame.
    Last edited by Steve Little; 08-16-2012, 04:04 PM.
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Comment

I ran 5.00-16s on my '39 UL for a while, and it would go into a speed wobble at times. The front end would feel light, and the handlebars oscillated back and forth rapidly. I learned to hang on and slow down gradually 'til the wobble stopped. You could then go back to the speed you were at or faster with no wobble. It was very scary, and I put 18s on it as soon as I could.
      I believe the '40s came with 16s, and this wobble became evident right away. The fix was the "bent frame" retrofit until the neck forging could be changed.
      AMCA 6295

Comment

Exactly as 39 UL states ... go to the 18" wheels and no issue. I would get the wobble at about 60-65 mph.
        Vic Ephrem
        AMCA #2590

Comment

Speaking of wheels....
          Is there any desire for 16" wheels?
          My WLA came to me many years ago with them and I'd really like to switch to 18" if I could find a reasonable swap. They're star wheels and have decent (but not matching) tires.
          I've never experienced a speed wobble with the WLA but it is a bit wobbly in the sweepers.
          Rich

Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Working...
          X