tanks shifter bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tanks shifter bushing

Could somebody please let me know on where to find the bushing for my 38uh left tank for the shifter arm bolt? i ordered a later colony shifter bolt kit with the bushing from flathead power but i need the early shift bolt as pictured and was wondering if i'm going in the right direction. Any help is greatly appreciated
    AMCA #765

Your tank is missing the pressed in steel sleeve that the bushing fits into. Without that nothing will fit it!!
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie,
      Is there a place where i can get the sleeve?
      AMCA #765

Comment

Good luck finding a bushing for your tank. In lieu of hunting for a good bushing, you'd save time & maybe be better off contacting a machine shop and having one made.

I went through this with the left tank on my 39.

Fortunately the bushing was still set into the tab.

However, the bushing spun freely as there were other problems that were not tended to prior to my ownership. Those problems caused the bushing to break loose and spin inside the tab which in turn caused smooth shifting to become something non-exsistant thus putting too much pressure on thge set bushing breaking it loose from it's seat.

I ended up having to use a die on the bushing to thread it and lock the bushing in place with a sprung washer and nut. I had to cut the nut in half in order to keep the profile down so it was not as obtrusive. Keep in mind I do not have a points bike, nor am interested in going that far.

I want to keep the bike on the road so everything works as it should so I had to do the next best thing aside from having a new over size outer ID bushing made so it could be reseated into the tank tab and opening.

I did not want to weld this in place as the tanks are with good paint and if then if a new bushing could have been found I could easily replace the worn bushing wihtout using heat.

It's been 2 years and several thousands of miles later & to date no issues with the bushing moving around and the shifting works as it should, slick and yet tight at the same time assuring good shift feel so there is no slop in anything.

Should you find a supplier for these I am still interested in obtaining a bushing, or if you have one made up sign me up as well,

I would believe there would be a market for these as those with worn bushings or with tanks without the bushing may have an interest as well.
        Last edited by ricmoran; 08-09-2012, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Len,
          The factory part was not sold as a replacement piece, and I don't know if anyone makes them The originals are a sleeve with a straight knurl and are pressed into the bracket. Custom fabrication is likely the answer.A bolt frozen to the bushing could cause the sleeve to turn in the tank, consequently allowing it to fall out or be driven out with the bolt!
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

since my tanks are out for repair. this is the best photo I have of the sleeve . Maybe someone can make up a drawing with dimensions.

AMCA 26656

47EL
            47WL

Comment

Thanks everybody for the great response. I have a friend who is sending me the whole bracket and i'll see if i can get my other friend who is a tool and model maker and hopefully to make some up for everybody!! I think we're on to something good..
              Len.
              p.s. Awesome picture tomcat1, thank you very much!!
              AMCA #765

Comment

David Sarafan has a kit that includes the sleeve for around $65. I ordered 2 from him today.
                (561) 847-4471.
                He will be at Davenport. Said he would have half a dozen or so sets with him.

Comment

Awesome!! I know David and i'll call him. Thanks Lee...
                  Len.
                  AMCA #765

Comment

Working...
                  X