Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 UL engine sprocket shaft nut removal

Hi,

I am in the proces of removing the transmission from my 47 UL for a thorough overhaul. At present i have been unable to remove the engine sprocket shaft nut.

The manual suggest a special tool that i dont have and Palmer's book suggests locking the chain / sprocket with a piece of wood to prevent movement while trying to release the nut.

This hasnt worked - i cant seem to lock it down enough to avoid some movement and the nut wont budge.

Is there a simple trick here to get the nut off or do i need to source the proper tool ? If i need the proper tool any idea who might carry them - i'm in the UK

Thanks

Martin

Martin.
    I would use an air impact wrench (Anti clockwise) the nut should fly off.

Pete Reeves 860 also from the uk

Comment

If you don't have an impact use a breaker bar and the correct socket size. Put the breaker bar on and hold it against the engines compression. Give the handle a good whack with a mallet of any sort, preferably a dead blow type, repeat if necessary.
      The nut will come off. I've never had one not come off in 40 years!
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

If I’m honest that’s the way I would do it if I did not have an impact wrench readily at hand. I was worried that suggesting using a bar and mallet would invite criticism.
        Pete Reeves 860

Comment

That is the way I do it breaker bar,correct socket and dead blow hammer work's every time
          Chuck
          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Thanks for the help guys - i dont have access to an air impact wrench but have the break bar and mallet - i'll give it a go.

Martin

Comment

If someone has used red loctite when the nut was tighten , the nut will have to be heated to 500 degrees before the loctite lets go. Something wedged between chain and sprocket should pevent the crank from turning. In my youth I have used rags. There is a cheap delrin stepped block tool that works good. The wedge should be placed top,against sprocket and chain, so that the couterclockwise movement makes it wedge tighter. Good Luck?

Comment

Grateful for the feed back. The job is done now.

After chewing my way through a few bits of wood i used an old 45 sprocket set between the chain and clutch sprocket to lock the crank down a bit more and it did the trick in combination with the socket and brake bar. Just another tip i guess.

Thanks again everybody.

Martin

Comment

Working...
                X