1940 springer purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 springer purchase

Hello All, I’m in need of some guidance on purchasing a new front end for my 1940 UA. At Dixon this year I sat in on Carl Olsen’s judging seminar and heard it mentioned several times that repops were OK as long as they were the best possible reproductions on the market. Although I do not plan to have the bike judged, I would still like to purchase the best quality front end I can.

My question is: how do I know which one constitutes the best quality? Looking around online I have found front ends available from several different manufacturers, but have no idea how one rates against another. Since this was originally a military bike I would also like to put a military front fender on it. Who makes the best one of these as well? Also, for a military big twin would the springer length be the same as a WLA, or slightly longer like the XA? Any insight and/or recommendations anyone can make would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
    Eric Olson
    Membership #18488

Do any of the aftermarket springer manufacturers make the "foreword sweep" springer?
    The 1940 frame is still 25 degrees and it needs a foreword sweep springer to be correct and handle as the manufacturer intended.
    I don't know how it would handle with a 1941-46 true inline springer.
    Regards Steve
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Comment

What happens when you buy the best available reproduction part and finish your bike and a month or two later a BETTER reproduction
      becomes available?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Little View Post
        Do any of the aftermarket springer manufacturers make the "foreword sweep" springer?
        The 1940 frame is still 25 degrees and it needs a foreword sweep springer to be correct and handle as the manufacturer intended.
        I don't know how it would handle with a 1941-46 true inline springer.
        Regards Steve
        Steve, thanks for the reply. I’m not certain about the availability of the springer you describe, in fact I’m not even sure I know exactly what it would look like. I'm fairly new to vintage bikes and don't know all of the differences between the springer front ends. I had only planned to purchase the one that said it was correct for my model year. Any more info anyone can offer as to specifications for a 40 BT and where to buy a good one would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by upsrod View Post
        What happens when you buy the best available reproduction part and finish your bike and a month or two later a BETTER reproduction
        becomes available?
        upsrod, great question. Since I don't plan to have mine judged, but just want to ride it, I'm only interested in a good quality one that will look good and hold-up well. However, as for those that are planning to be judged with repro parts, I'm sure they would like to know the answer to this question.
        Eric Olson
        Membership #18488

Comment

Eric, my suggestion would be to not rush into a hasty purchase. Take time and learn the differences in the various springers. The in-line repops out there are, in my opinion, built along the lines of the later in-lines, '41 or later. From what I hear, the repops are all made by the same manufacturer. As Steve notes, they do not have the same rear legs as the '40 and earlier which have a forward "sweep" as he says. Once you have acquainted yourself with the correct style you need, then make your purchase - be aware that they won't be cheap if the seller is aware of what he has. Often, however, the seller may be unaware of what he has.
          The time you spend (and the extra you will probably pay for the correct model) will pay dividends for you down the road.
          Good luck with your UA.
          Lonnie Campbell #9908
          South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Working...
          X