Barn fresh 37ULH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn fresh 37ULH

I just want to show you guys a few pics of what I beleived to be non-existent. I found this basement fresh 37ULH last year but when I treid to buy it, the gentleman said it was sold. He called me two weeks ago and said the fella never came up with the money. Needless to say, when I saw it, I bought it.
    It was originally from Kalispell, MT, a man named Bert Strack owned it and he is the reason the 41-46 trim is on the 37 tanks. I guess the dealer in MT installed
    them, they are soldered and look like original mounts. After a few different owners in MA and OH, it made its way back to MT, where the guy I bought it from lived. His dad owned it for years, and Mike(his son) bought it from him in 1969. He packed it around in attics and basements in Alaska until it found me. He said he put 150 miles on it in the last 45 years. It was ridden last in 2009. He was very proud to have kept it away from the chopper guys for all these years, and I thanked him for that also. The speedo, muffler and headlight have been replaced, although I have the original headlight in a box of parts.
    The serial number is very low, it doesn't have the reinforcements under the fender tabs on the springer. Has the open brake stay and it looks like all the original fasteners. I want to restore it but I think I'm gonna ride it for a few years.
    I just like the way it looks.

Steve

PS. I'll post more pics if anyone has a certain area they want to see. PSS. What are the screw plugs in the head for? I've only seen a picture of them on a prototype 37, and can't find any info on them.

37 ULH Pics right after purchase 001.jpg37 ULH Pics right after purchase 002.jpg37 ULH Pics right after purchase 003.jpg37 ULH Pics right after purchase 004.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by shinedogg; 07-14-2012, 12:02 AM.
    Steve

PSS. What are the screw plugs in the head for? I've only seen a picture of them on a prototype 37, and can't find any info on them.

They were for primer valves.

37 ULH Pics right after purchase 001.jpg37 ULH Pics right after purchase 002.jpg37 ULH Pics right after purchase 003.jpg37 ULH Pics right after purchase 004.jpg[/QUOTE]
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

you can sure tell the workers at the moco were proud of where they worked it really shows on these machines,gotta love em!

Comment

That's a dandy Steve!! Nice scoop!!!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

G,day Steve what a barn fine ,i have been after a ULH for some time its great to see there still out there waiting to be found ,such a cool old bike and great peice of history with it,cheers Rob.

Comment

Why restore it - you'd ruin a perfectly good bike. Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
              Why restore it - you'd ruin a perfectly good bike. Jerry
              ^^^^ THIS

It's only original once. It's not a rat. It's a survivor. Careful preservation, cleaning and a sympathetic eye towards preserving original finishes and making 'patina' work for you rather than against you will help save an incredible machine. There are too many 'factory perfect' restored bikes with no factory finish left on them whatsoever. Today, it's all about preserving those bikes that have escaped chopping, butchering and Pebble Beach restorations. Just my 2 percent of a dollar, FWIW, Your mileage may Vary, As Seen on TV... but I think that bike will turn more heads as a preservation machine than it ever would as a restoration.

Oh and nice score. I am green with envy!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Excellent score....I know there's plenty besides me that would love to be in your shoes. Congratulations.

Comment

I agree about the patina of the bike, I want to keep everything that is untouched untouched. The paint is the only thing that has been seriously changed,(it was rattle canned in Yakutat, Alaska 4 years ago), and I'd like to send it off to John Peirce. I know it would'nt be original but it's not original now. I'm afraid it will look too new though. Other than going through the clutch, brakes and fluids, I'm not going to restore anything. Thanks for the comments and compliments everyone. How about that wolf whistle coming off the intake? I'll never take that off. Steve
                  Steve

Comment

Anyone know where I can get ahold of a non-restored speedo for this bike?
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by shinedogg View Post
                      I agree about the patina of the bike, I want to keep everything that is untouched untouched. The paint is the only thing that has been seriously changed,(it was rattle canned in Yakutat, Alaska 4 years ago), Steve
                      Steve,
                      I have had great success removing rattle can paint with spray on graffiti remover and a toothbrush. Do small areas and don't let the remover stay on the base paint that you are trying to save.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks Chris, I'm going to try that. If it works you won't be able to wipe the smile off my face.
                        Steve

Comment

For removing cheap paint like that, I've used acetone. With just that one coat it should be an easy task. Just make sure you use it in a well ventilated area. And don't overdo it.
                          Lonnie Campbell #9908
                          South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

what a great find and a fantastic bike!
                            love old bikes from stock to modified? www.bornfreeshow.com
                            Mark you calendars for June 28 and 29, 2014 for Born-Free 6! At Oak Canyon Ranch, in Silverado, California.

Currently in the stable:
                            1937 UL
                            1938 FL
                            1942 FL
                            1951 EL
                            1968 FLH
                            1978 Shovel

Comment

Working...
                            X