Runs on full choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runs on full choke

Have a ’47 WL, Linkert carb, pretty original bike. Hard starting. I don’t have much time to work on it these days, I pick an hour here and there. When it starts it will only run with full choke. I’ve had it running a month ago, poor throttle response but it ran and idled. Rode around the block. Now this. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

It sounds like your intake manifold may be leaking. There is plenty of info on the topic if you use the search function.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Maybe the spring that holds the main nozzle into the venturi broke or is missing. if you look into the throat, it should reach about to the center of the carb. Also, make sure the venture ins't installe backwards. The leading edge should be round like the front of an airplane wing.

It's best to pull the carb and check everything. The float could be swollen and stuck, or the needle valve may be "Viton" and was attacked by the gasahol forcing the float to the bottom of the bowl. It could just be gummed up from sitting. I doubt it's a manifold leak if it idles but leans out at high speed.

Comment

I guess I didn't ask questions like....how long has the bike been sitting? etc... etc... If gas was left in the carb for a lengthy period of time it for sure should come apart for an inspection if it's not working properly.
        Last edited by c.o.; 06-14-2012, 07:36 PM.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
          I guess I didn't ask questions like....how long has the bike been sitting? etc... etc... If gas was left in the carb for a lengthy period of time it for sure should come apart for an inspection if it's not working properly.
          Corey!

You were dead-on with your first post,
          however, never does only one thing go wrong at a time!

...Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

So true Cotten! If it were only one thing at a time it would be way too easy!!!!
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Will check

Thanks guys. I've had the carb off and on so many times, it is clean and doesn't seem to be damaged by gasahol at all. Jets (needle valves) look clean.

I have to admit the float is suspect. Of course the last time I checked it seemed "floppy" enough, but looking at it (up-side-down, in my hand) it's never perpendicular to the bowl. I kind of blew this off thinking it can't make that much difference (can it?). Messing with it I've had a hard time trying to get the float clearance right.
              Last time it was running (month ago) it idled like a 45 (runs forever) and wish I would have checked for air leaks then. Now without it idling like before, makes it more difficult.
              My plan is to remove carb (again) and check float, manifold seats and . . . this is new to me knuckleheadtim, ". . . spring that holds the main nozzle into the venturi broke or is missing", hmmm I'll look but have never seen anything like you have referred to.
              Also unfamiliar with the term "Viton" . . . ??
              Thanks again, Nick

Comment

The spring I referred to goes in last when you put the bowl nut on the bottom They're carbon steel so the can rust very quickly if any water settles in the bottom of the car.

Viton is a rubber compund that was commonly used for the tips of needle valves and accelerator pumps on automotive carbs. Some aftermarket Linkert float valves are Viton tipped, but it swell like crazy with alcohol and forces the float to the bottom of the bowl- not a good scenario.

Comment

Ah ha, that dang float was stuck on the bottom of the bowl and does not "flop" around. In fact it seems like it is swollen. It's a plastic type float. Was the same way first time I opened the bowl up and thought I had gotten it to "flop" around in there. But like I mentioned before, that float is suspect.
                  So, guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get a new float. I've heard of the "Rubber Ducky" but in trying to hold the expenses down I've just put it off hoping I could salvage this stupid, bloated, swollen float.

Thanks for the clarification Tim, I'm not Viton tipped and the carb spring you referred to is in tact and looking good.

thx all

Comment

NicoNP, The gentleman on post #5 Tom Cotton IS the go to man for a replacement float. Tim

Comment

Ditto on Cotten's floats!
                      Bob Selph
                      1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                      1940 Sport Scout
                      AMCA#15215

Comment

Nick!

Tests for vacuum leaks that require the motor to be running often miss critical smaller fissures.

An absolute test is performed while your carburetor is removed:
                        http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html.

The manifold flange should be ground to flat, and the carburetor's flange lathe-dressed, as this interface cannot be bubble-tested.
                        With carb installed, this seam, and the throttle bushings, may be inspected with an un-lit propane torch, although it will suffer the same lack of sensitivity as any other running test.

No vacuum leak is an acceptible leak.

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by bselph View Post
                          Ditto on Cotten's floats!
                          Double ditto!!!

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

No vacuum leak is an acceptible leak.

....Cotten
                          I'm thinking you need a t-shirt with that slogan on it Cotten..... It's also words to live by with our old machines.
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

I got my Rubber Ducky, hopefully will be able to work on the bike this week. A shout out to Cass at Deluxe Restorations in Dousman, WI, he had the "Ducky" in stock. He is following his passion and keeping our old iron alive
                            http://www.deluxehdrestorations.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X