1933VL Over Oiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1933VL Over Oiling

My 33VC has always dripped a little oil upon stopping, I understand total loss. All of a sudden it it dripping a lot. There will be a large pie plate size puddle and a drip line going up my driveway. I have measured the oil over the last 5K miles when I empty the crankcase and it is usually around 7-8 ozs. Now I am getting 12+ ozs. I thought it might be the check valve in the oil tank, so I took it apart. The seat looked good and spring was tight but I replaced the ball anyway and it did not leak a single drop after sitting over night. I had someone tell me that if the control coil from the throttle came loose at the oil pump, it would default to full open so as not to damage the motor. The cable is still connected and appears to function properly when the throttle is opened. I have never had to adjust the oil pump. What do I do next?
    Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by bselph; 06-05-2012, 07:58 AM.
    Bob Selph
    1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
    1940 Sport Scout
    AMCA#15215

Dear Bob, you have the one year 1933 oil pump, nice piece. First make sure the oil pump is wide open with the throttle wide open, as the Riders Handbook. Then drain the crankcases, put in three hand pumps of oil, drain again to see how much this is, 3 hand pumps again, go for a ride, drain cases etc etc. Even though the check valve in the left tank is holding when static, you could still be getting oil through when running. I have slightly stronger springs than original, plus put in a new ball and lap the seat just to be sure. Next is the chain oiler, probably not needed now we have paved roads. Take out the shims and screw the adjuster on the oil pump right down. To be certain, you can solder up the copper pigtail taking oil from the pump to the breather pocket, or crimp it closed, or put in blanking plugs both ends. Then start trimming the oil pump in the less direction, i.e. clockwise, and do more checking. The 1933 oil pump contains a fixed jet in the mainshaft disc 700-32 and this just might have come unscrewed. Another possibilty is a broken pin in the 699-28 mainshaft disc, jamming the pump open. You'll need to remove the cam cover to check these, so do the easier stuff first. Good luck. These earlier VL oil pumps are usually pretty reliable.

Comment

Steve, I never considered that the check valve could leak while running. I will go thru it again and do the pumping, draining, measuring. My copy of the Riders Handbook has a different picture than my oil pump. Can you tell me which screw is the chain oiler?

Thank you sooo much for all your guidance and help!
      Bob Selph
      1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
      1940 Sport Scout
      AMCA#15215

Comment

Dear Bob, the chain oiler screw is that one pointing more or less vertically upwards on the base of the oil pump body. Your Riders Handbook will have a picture of the 1934-36 oil pump. The early one is covered in those H-D reprint collection books.

Comment

Working...
        X