Early VL Oil Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early VL Oil Pump

I'm about done with my 33 VLE, just finishing up the electrical and control cables. My current problem is figuring out how to connect the control cable that runs from the Control Connection Block to the oil pump. The wire at the pump end goes through a round block. When the throttle is moved (increased) so does the oil pump volume. The round block on the oil pump has no set screw to tighten down the control wire. I've looked in the parts manual and Steve's book and haven't found how to do it. Suggestions on what I'm missing?
    Attached Files

I don't know if this is correct but my 33VC runs great with this setup. Hope it helps.
    Bob
    Bob Selph
    1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
    1940 Sport Scout
    AMCA#15215

Comment

Bob, thanks for the reply to my message and the photo posting. It looks like a good solution, in fact I made up a bunch today in the shop. A set for my 33 VLE and extras for some early 1930's 45's that I've yet to tackle. Lippy

Comment

Here's another picture of a Harley oil pump spring and set screw hold down. This was sent to me by my brother. He tells me this if from a pre-30 45.
        Attached Files

Comment

Bob's picture is about right, and you can also see the correct set-up in the 1930-33 Owner's Handbook reprinted by Harley-Davidson. You need a crimped or soldered nipple inside the camshaft control lever, then a spring and stop screw at the wire end. Adjust so the pump is wide open when the throttle is wide open. It is a one-year oil pump for 1933 with the new chain oiler screw in the body.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Steve. I was unsure what side the spring should go on. I'll make mine like the picture that Bob uploaded.

Lippy

Comment

Working...
            X