battery for 45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery for 45

has anyone had any luck with batteries for a 45? I have always heard replacement was junk so I have carved out a Wisco and plan to drop a 6 volt into it, does anyone have a recommendation of one that will work? Thanks

I may be alone but I have pretty good luck with the ones I get from the Harley Dealer. The vent on the side gets in the way some times...I have ended up with a bad one but they exchanged it for me.

Comment

I have used both. The 6V sealed lead/acid type that fit into a hollowed out battery worked for short rides of 10 to 25 miles. They would fail if I tried to ride for multiple full days. I found them unreliable and would die at the worst time. The 6V vented battery has given me the best use. My first was the off shore red top white bottom one. I am now using one form a Harley dealer in California because the sealed lead/acid one died and left us stranded somewhere on the Angeles Crest Highway. That was July 2010. I am now back home in south Florida and the Harley battery is still performing well.
      I have removed the vent elbow on the vented batteries and sealed the hole (J B Weld.) I then drilled the center of the caps so the battery can vent like when these old bikes were built. This works well with the 45 battery box that didn't have a cutout for the elbow vent. I take a heavy paper towel soak with baking soda, let it dry, and place in top of the upper battery pad to help neutralize the venting gasses.
      I tried the sealed/lead acid ones (3) to try to save money and they didn't work for my style of riding.

Comment

Try looking into the little 6v battery packs they use for the kids toys at Toys R Us. Drew

Comment

The Harley or the V-twin #53-0541.I have used the same V-twin for several years without problems.These are not the replica battery that are leaky and unreliable .You may have to make clearance for the posts or the breather tube.I dont have acid everywhere and no corrosion at posts.

Comment

Have used the small 6v bat. that are used in exit signs,etc. Have had very good luck with these. I have ridden several thou. miles ( Eustis, Daytona and into GA. ) this year with NO problem. They are small enough I put 2 of them in my 45' bat. box, one for a spare. They do need to be shimmed and make up flag terminals for them. Suppose you could take apart an original 6v bat. and put them inside if you need an original look. Hope this helps. fogfrank

Comment

Working...
            X