Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monroe Shocks on springer forks - overhaul

Hi,

I have a 47 UL which is fitted with an original Monroe shock absorber on the sprung forks. Its a period piece but well past its useful function. I could buy a repop but i'd much rather keep the orginal if i can get it to function properly.

I'd like to overhaul it but cannot find any information about how to do it. My copy service manual mentions a factory shop dope publication but i have been unable to track it down.

Given that these were fitted to lots of sprung fork bikes after 1947 i cant believe this problem hasnt arisen before.

I emailed Monroe but they were not able to assist.

Can soemone out there help please?

I'm from the UK

Thanks

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Pettingell; 03-30-2012, 08:19 AM. Reason: needed to add some information

Martin, here's a link to an interesting disassembly procedure that might help you: http://www.cj-2a.com/oldsite/OEMpart...bly/index.html.
    And there's a sort discussion on our site here: http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...ck-disassembly
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated

Martin

Comment

I remember seeing ads in the services section of Hemmings Motor News from folks who rebuild shocks.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
          I remember seeing ads in the services section of Hemmings Motor News from folks who rebuild shocks.
          Briiliant!
          Hemmings shock rebuilder ad
          Last edited by pisten-bully; 04-02-2012, 06:49 PM.
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

In the 70's I was able to buy the shock right from Monroe using the number on it. When it showed up it had a threaded stem on one end and a loop on the other. Apparently HD ordered the shocks and welded their own brackets to them. If you look at most OEM shocks you can see what I am talking about. If I remember right the original shocks' application (minus the arms) was a sprung seat on a tractor.

Too bad I wasn't thinking ahead and ordered a whole case. In the late 80's I managed to buy a couple of the shocks from a parts store being liquidated in Eau Claire, Wisconsin but have not seen any since.

I was kind of hoping that someone would chime in an say that there is a different between early and late.

Jerry
            Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 04-02-2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Is there a difference between early and late?
              Mark Masa
              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark Yes there is. If i get a chance I will take photos. Jerry

Comment

Here are photos. I assume that the one with the dimples is the earlier. The other one is much rarer and I have only seen a couple so I suspect they are a 50's WL and Servi_Car thing.

Close ups of dimpled one.

The non dimpled one.

You can also see where HD or whoever built these shocks for them cut off the loop and the stud.

Jerry

Comment

Thanks for all the further information.

I raised the query as I have just acquired the bike and it felt as though the shock was not providing enough dampening to the springs. Certainly it felt very soft compared to my WLA which has the old style ride support bracket.

I have now removed the shock from the bike during a rebuild of the front end. It is indeed the dimpled variety, as above, which would seem correct for a '47 bike.

I was expecting the shock to have some kind of internal spring working with oil. In fact i can compress and expand it fully with a little muscle power and it feels as though it is just oil passing through some kind of restriction to provide the dampening but without any kind of spring in there.

It doesnt look like it has ever been tampered with

It may be that in fact it is working ok and they were always quite soft in operation. I have nothing to compare it with. I'd welcome any feedback from those who run original versions on thier bikes Has anybody got hold of one of the repro versions - i'd be interested to know how they worked also?

Thanks

Martin

Comment

Martin,
                      Pump the unit a few times and see if the resistance increases. That is what normally occurs in a damper unit. It is merely that, a damper and not an auxiliary suspension unit, hence no springs or other means of increasing resistance. In operation it is to slow down the oscillations and prevent the front end from bouncing. The springs on the forks control compression and rebound. Also be aware that the operating range of the damper unit is quite short. The normal operating range is only about an inch with 2 inches being about the max on an extreme bump, so the damper unit only needs to move slightly. If the fluid has not leaked out of it the chances are likely that it still functions. They were no big deal to start with!
                      Robbie
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

They are like a 90/10 shock so they collapse real easy and then slowly recover their origianl position. Jerry

Comment

Hi, I recently both a Monroe shock absorber kit that I want to fit to my WLC year 45, however as it is, I use the terminal fiber plate (part #69037-42 on the picture, that now has to be replaced by #69135-47. It is the first time I am doing this so I am uncertain if this is the right thing to do. Is there any fitting manual for these shockers that you can share? Thank you?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X