gas tank-vl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas tank-vl

The brass outlet on my painted VL tank popped off,rear of tank where the shut-off goes.Looks like the solder joint failed.My question is,do I dare try to EPOXY it back on?JB WELD----PC7 say they work on metal and are gas resistant.I've been reading up on silver soldering,but I am leary of trying it.I want to try to save the paint job!

I certainly understand trying to save the paint job, but I think I would do a proper fix and solder it. That would be a real nasty place for a fire while your going down the road!
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I wanted to add some pics of the repair,but have no clue how to add pics.When I hit add image it asks for a url,AGHHHHHHHHH

Comment

If you are getting that message the manage attachments function is on "web-site" . Check at the top, below add files and you will notice "Upload Files from a Website | Computer" Click on computer and you should be good to go.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

JB weld won't do it... it's good for a lot of things, but the pipes on that tap will add some vibration and stress into the mix and it won't last long.

Strip and do right. It won't be cheapest method, but, as CO says... losing the whole bike to a fire is a lot more expensive.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Johney.
            I have removed and refitted a leaking gas tap adaptor on a painted tank with very little damage to the paint.
            My method was to first machine an 1/8 NPT thread on to the end of a ¾ inch brass or copper bar about 6 inches long, screw this in to the fitting (without any jointing paste) you can then apply heat with a blow lamp to the bar which will transfer the heat to the fitting. Pull the bar complete with the fitting away from the tank as soon as you see the solder melt. Quickly cool the tank with a wet rag
            Clean up and tin the soldered area of the tank with a soldering iron taking care to cool the surrounding painted area with a damp rag.
            Then clean up and tin the fitting then load it with solder.
            Tip the tank upside down carefully position the fitting in its place and apply heat to the bar which will transfer its heat to the fitting. The solder that you loaded on it will suddenly melt and the weight of the bar will cause the fitting to drop into position which will melt the solder on the tank. As soon as this happens cool the tank using a damp rag then quickly cool the hot bar using water.
            Pete Reeves 860

Comment

Thanks Peter,I'll do that next time,too late now

Comment

Hi Cory,I can't even find add files or manage attachments so I'm still stumped.

Comment

Working...
                X