How to "STROKE" 45 G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to "STROKE" 45 G

Hi folks I have a 1939 45 servicar with standard iron heads and the "studs in the cylinders" instead of head bolts. I just picked up a pair of OEM 1939 aluminum heads and realize that I must remove the engine from the frame to install them. I was wondering if strokin the engine is worth the expense and how difficult it may be. I have a linkert M-52 and the 22T engine sproket. The trike runs great, starts right up and has aprox. 3k miles since my complete rebuild and restoration almost 14 years ago. Top speed is about 55 mph and is very gutless off the line. Other than flywheels and pistons what else is required to stroke this engine, and would it be worth it to replace the cylinders with the later "head bolt" type?
    Attached Files

If you want more inches you have to "STROKE IT" lol The end result your motor will produce more torque and a little more HP. It will still be geared the same so the motor RPM at 55 MPH will be the same. Tell us what end result you want to accomplish and we can better help you obtain your goals. Nice Servicar.

Comment

I built a stroker 45 for a friend who pulled a sidecar with it. The difference was very noticeable. He was able to go up several teeth on his motor sprocket and could comfortably cruise at more than 10 MPH faster than before. All with stock cams and carb. You could likely go to at least a 27 tooth motor sprocket instead of the stock 22 on a Servi-Car.Perhaps higher. And this was at elevation! This was before the stroker pistons became available so it should be even easier.
      And you are staring at that girl like you rented her!
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Old timers have told me that Indian 45" flywheels with a "Z" cast into them make good stroker wheels for an H-D 45".
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Old timers have told me that Indian 45" flywheels with a "Z" cast into them make good stroker wheels for an H-D 45".
          Why bother with that when Truett & Osborne make new ones in various strokes that are an easy bolt in.
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I never planed on tearing into my 45 since it runs as good as can be expected, but since I must remove the engine to install the aluminum heads I thought this would be a good time to upgrade. My desire is to ride comfortably at higher speeds without the poor engine being maxed out for any period of time. I have run the solo 27t sproket for awhile which gave me an extra 10 mph, but the lugging and having to slip the clutch off the line was too much. If as I have heard that the Truett & Osborne flywheels are an easy bolt in, Is there a kit whith all components needed, and will there be any machining necessary? Also would it be worth the expense of replacing the cylinders to the later head-bolt type? My cylinders are 50 over and one stud is broken off at the end. I was able to counter sink the iron head stud hole enough to "catch" enough threads to do a proper torque, but I'm not sure if the aluminum heads are much thicker to alow the same to be done with it. thanks -Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
              45 HD stroke is longer than Indian 45 stroke. Your old-timers were talking about pirating Chief flywheels to stroke the 45's, Chris. The harley camp here was threatening the same to me back when my Chief was still a basket. ... Queers!

Comment

http://www.victorylibrary.com/

There are Truett and Osborn wheels on ebay now. But this guy, Jeff Diamond has a number of pieces of literature he has produced, including stroking a 45, or even putting a Sportster ohv top end on one.

I bought his Linkert book which is very detailed treatise on the inner workings of the carb.
                Dan Margolien
                Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
                Www.yankeechapter.org
                Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                X