VL rear wheel rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL rear wheel rebuild

Just starting with rebuilding my VL rear wheel.
    the bearings and races are worn and needs a rebuilt or replace.

I heard about rebuild kits for 36-39 star hub wheels, so , are there kits available for VL wheels ?

i thinking about pressing bearings in the hub and pres a bearing in the brake drum.
    have anyone do that ? (and is it possible to do ?)

I've made all the parts except the splined hubs for the VL wheels, so they can be rebuilt essentially back to factory specs. Please contact me through www.vlheaven.com. Remember the wheels are interchangeable, so you may be able to salvage some parts from the front wheel hub. I've heard of people putting modern bearings in VL hubs but haven't done it myself as it would alter original components and the correct parts are now available. You can press in a second support bearing to the VL wheel hub and I can supply details.

Comment

Steve,
      Has anyone got a good fix for the hub or brake drum splines? I bought several hubs that are in good shape or NOS but haven't seen anything on the brake drum splines. It would be sweet to have spares for these as I have 3 VL's and and a couple are starting to get a little sloppy. Thanks!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
      AMCA #12766

Comment

I bought a rusted/pitted rear brake drum on Ebay in the $25 range which had great splines on the axle hub. I have removed hub to install in good rear brake drum when I find one. I cannot find a decent drum that is not pitted.

Comment

Dear Rollo and Buster, the VL hubs and rear brake drums will take a lot of wear, and I've seen a hillclimber rear wheel where the splines were worn almost to points. I've heard of people putting in resin or shim material to take up wear, and this works for a while. Harley Shop Dope 127 describes 0.001", 0.002" and 0.003" oversize brake shell hubs being available, but this compromises wheel interchangeability. In practice there is little you can do about spline wear, and you have to find the best wheel hubs and brake splines you can. Rear brake shells and hubs are occasionally found nos at the swap meets, but getting difficult. Two into one repairs are possible, as the splined section is riveted to the drum. Don't expect repros of either of these parts soon.

Comment

Perhaps hard chroming will fill the rust pits in the drum?
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Steve,
              Thanks for the reply and that is what I have experienced so far. I have been talking to Tom Fesser on occassion about doing the brake splines as replicas so at least you can re-revit new ones to old drums assuming the drums and hubs are good enought to run. Rat has also told me about running slam worn out hubs and brake splines for years but it would still be nice if one could tighten all of this up over time. The other route I was considering was to build up and remachine them but the money and time make that unrealistic right now. I guess the best is run what you got and hope I can persuade Tom or someone else to do the brake splines even if it is limited production. I like my VL's and want to ride them more but worry about running them past the point of being safe. I know from experience what happens when you run some thing past the point of no return on heavy equipment track sprockets ( cheap ass boss) and then you tear up the bull gear and final drives. Then he really gets pissed. Hit those brakes hard on worn out VL splines and then it's Fred Flintstone time for stopping.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
              AMCA #12766

Comment

Dear Rollo, I've taken both the splined rear brake hub and the VL wheel hub to engineering shops and had them roll their eyes. I still can't figure out how these parts were made, and it's got to be of the order of $1000 each to make them in low volume today. I've done enough vanity projects like the VL 4-speed gearbox not to want to take on anymore. I've had three customers in 20 years shear off the rear brake operating shaft when their brakes snatched. Whether that was worn splines or worn brake shaft tunnel I don't know. The VL rear brake is easily capable of locking up the rear wheel, but is a high wear part from water and mud getting in over the years. You can see why Harley went to the star hub and a bolt on cast rear drum, as these must have been significantly less cost to manufacture.

Comment

these are 1930 narrow spline ,one NOS hub and drum--one used drum with what appears to be new repro hub[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

here is the pair[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Thanks for posting the pictures. The front brake splines stayed the same 1930-36, but the number of rivets holding it to the drum changed from 6 x 3/16" in early 1930, to 6 x 3/16" plus 6 x 1/4" in later 1930, to 12 x 1/4" from 1931-36. Your nos brake hub will be early 1930. The rear brake looks like it has been altered for another model, as I'm not sure that is the VL hub. Maybe it's time for me to learn how to post pictures.

Comment

Steve the pics may be deceptive the drums are the same diameter,6-3/4" id .The grey one is about 1/16th inch wider than the parkerised one.the hubs are the same dimensions ,and both had 6 holes not 12.I think both are early '30 fronts. for sale $450.00 pair or best offer

Comment

The NOS hub in that picture looks suspiciously like a casting, not a machined part, with the machining done to clean up the ID and the OD but not the splines themselves.
                          Robbie
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Yes it is Robbie-good eye as always

Comment

more front parts for sale[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                              X