VL Oil / Gas Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Oil / Gas Tanks

I've seen WL and Indian tank sets which retail for $600 to $700. Does anyone know anyone who specializes in restoring the old holey tanks like I have? I wouldn't mind fixing mine rather than buy a new repro set. Thanks

Dear John, the later tanks are much simpler than the VL ones and easier to make. The VL left tank has oil and gas compartments separated by a double skinned wall which is then diagonally pierced by the hand oil pump, and of course the whole think is done in tinplate and solder. You may find an old radiator guy willing to give it a try, but I have reports of people spending $1-2,000 on tank repairs and still having them leak. The modern gasoline with all the alcohols is also very aggressive. If you can't do the work yourself then I'd put the tanks on eBay, where I think they still fetch more than they should.

Comment

My friend just repaired and restored my sons 101 scout tanks that were swiss cheesed. He made any areas that needed replacement with an english wheel and then tigged them and then leaded the repair. They really turned out great. I will try to post pics when the kid gets here. You are right about the cost because many hours go into it.If the cost doesn't scare you off PM me. But if you want to save original tanks there is a price to pay. They were air tested good but he sealed them anyhow.
      D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Steve's advice is welle said. As some one who has both VL's and old Chiefs I can attest to the issues with soldered tanks however,Tom Fesser makes excellent reproduction tanks at Replicant Metals ( www.replicantmetals.com -717-626-1618). You can get them either soldered or welded. If you ride your VL like I ride mine it is the way to go. I am not sure of the price but it is in the $600-700 range I believe. He also makes a ton of other JD and VL parts such as fenders, dashs, tool boxes etc. Check out his web site to see it all. He is a good craftsman and an honest guy. You will not be dissapointed. I also tried to have a set of both VL and Indian tanks repaired with mixed sucess. The problem with soldered tanks is once you think you have the spot fixed 10 more pop up. The heat chases the solder in the seams an opens them up so you are continually reworking the solder joint to make sure you got it all. Even with pressure testing they can hold and just the effort to attach the tanks back on the frame can open up a weak spot that passed pressure but not the torque of tightening them down on the frame. Take it from me as I had that happen on a 36 Chief. Then I had a ton of gas all over the shop and bike but I guess that was better than going down the road and bursting into a ball of flames.
        Tom (Rollo) Hardy
        AMCA #12766

Comment

I think Tom's VL tanks are more like $1150 but nicely done. I've twice ridden a freshly restored bike and found bubbles in the tank paint after a week. That's at least once too many, and when you consider the cost of a paint job it makes new tanks look more reasonable.

Comment

Thanks Steve for the price correction. And how true on ruining the paint work. Even at that price it is worth it not to go up in a ball of flames from leaking gas tanks!!
            Tom Rollo) Hardy
            AMCA # 12766

Comment

I am certainly no expert. Not even close! But with some research, and a lot of patience, AND a Friend to help you can do it for less than $50 worth of material. And a BUNCH of time! I have done 3 or 4 101 tanks. Here are a couple of pics. It is Very Satisfying work and Kinda Fun!

http://laughingindian.com/
              http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
              A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

Working...
              X