generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• generator

i am thinking about running a 12v cycle electric generator on my 1930 74 in vc. i already am using the electronic ignition (sure fire 2000) and will use a better coil. any thoughts on this move.

It would seem as long as the drive gear and mounting screw holes are the right size it should bolt on.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

If you want to retain the original appearance of your bike, have a 32e generator converted to 12 volts. The core you send them will not need to be working or have the field coils, just complete otherwise. Use an electronic "look alike" 12 volt regulator such as a V/T #32-0071 and change all your light bulbs to 12 volts. Your horn will work just fine, if it works now. V/T has nice
      AGM 12volt battery that will fit nicely in your original battery box. If your existing wiring harness is in good condition now, it will work fine on 12 volts. This setup will support a halogen headlight and heated gloves or other stuff. I have been using this setup on my VL for about 3 1/2 or 4 years without any electrical failures of any kind.
      The Cycle Electric deal works well too. You may have to put Heli-coils in your generator's mounting holes so you can use the original screws unless your case has already been drilled for larger bolts. Be sure you use the original style drive gear and space it the same distance from the mounting face of your generator as your 32e was. I'm not sure if the C/E shaft is drilled for the retaining pin, if not you will need to do that and then if necessary, cut off the excess length of the shaft so the generator mounts to the cases tightly as it may hit the inside of your case.

Comment

The 1930/31 VL generator is different from the Model 32E so consider if this will be a judged bike. If you are not running a lot of extra accessories then 6 volts should be fine. Many VLs have been re-wired with thin vinyl wire and you need the thicker 6 volt wire to make sure the power gets to your lights etc. In other words a lot of electrical difficulties on pre-12 volt bikes are because of the wiring rather than the generator voltage.

Comment

Working...
        X