Harley VL clutch assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley VL clutch assembly

I am reassembling my 1932 VL clutch with new linings. The best I remember when I took it a part I could get the six screws started into the spring retainers with out compressing the springs. Now the screws do not come close enough to the three retainers to start the threads. Do the springs have to be compressed to start the screws (with new linings installed) or am I doing something wrong. Also how far do I turn screws into for proper intial clutch adjustment. I have Steve Slocomb book, but was not able to find this info (or you out there Steve). Thanks!!

I used a c-clamp with some compression to assemble mine, and ran the screws in until they were flush with the inside of the retainers and the clutch works good. I did not replace any linings or plates. I'm not sure if that's the proper way but it works great.
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Also, I did note that that's how the clutch came apart, with the screws flush. I was rebuilding the tranny and had no clutch problems.
      Louie
      FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
      Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
      YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Dear Buster, here I am. Your springs must have been pretty shot, or the wrong ones, if you could get the clutch apart that easily. While Harley had a special assembly jig, I find clamping up each trio of springs in a vice and then putting in the two screws works OK. Arrange the assembly so a centre spring is not over a drive disc stud when you start. Putting the screws flush with the retainer plates, or one turn through, should be a good starting position. File the burrs off the toothed plates before you start, and find an arrangement that is a good fit of the clutch pack in the drum, then mark both pack and drum so you can find it again after clutch assembly.

Comment

Working...
        X