What frame does this belong to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What frame does this belong to?

Got this from the brother in law who got it at a garage sale in Florida. I saw some pics from his phone, but did not have the luxury of measuring all the details. We were told it was a 26-29 single frame. Problem is, the singles have a 9 3/4" center on the motor mounts, and this frame is 10" on center. Anybody know what this frame is for?

100_0292.JPG 100_0305.JPG 100_0293.JPG
    Regards;
    Milrite
    AMCA 17907

First DL 45s, 1929s thru 31s, IIRC, used slightly-modified Singles' frames. The straight front downtube being the reason for the vertical generator and "3-cylinder Harley" appelation.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Milrite,
      26 frame will have casting number under trans,in saddle. 1 year only frame.

Originally posted by Milrite View Post
      Got this from the brother in law who got it at a garage sale in Florida. I saw some pics from his phone, but did not have the luxury of measuring all the details. We were told it was a 26-29 single frame. Problem is, the singles have a 9 3/4" center on the motor mounts, and this frame is 10" on center. Anybody know what this frame is for?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6789[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]6790[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]6791[/ATTACH]
      Ken S., # 6457
      1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
      1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

Originally posted by milw.pirates View Post
        Milrite,
        Maybe. Not all had a number there, and some were on a strip of metal so can get lost.
        Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Thanks all! Oh well, live and learn. Fortunately I dont really need this frame, but it was cheap! So I'll throw it on the "for sale at a later date" pile! Or, maybe I'll add a 1929 45ci to the growing list of projects
          BTW, I would still be interested in another frame if anybody has one! I'll be at Wauseon and would be happy to pick it up there If not, how about a 1929 45?
          There is a CVMG swap meet here this weekend in Paris, Ontario, 10 miles from home, I'd be even happier to pick it up there!!!!
          Last edited by Milrite; 06-15-2011, 02:57 PM.
          Regards;
          Milrite
          AMCA 17907

Comment

Milrite,
            Thanks Ken;
            I have found that the 26-29 frame is not readily available (least wise not since I have been looking for one in the last 8 months or so), which is why I jumped on this one, as it was in a little better shape than my other gearbox frame. I have seen a few modified frames, basically with the tranny shoe modified to fit a jack shaft, but that said, they were all pretty crooked and had pretty high sticker prices. My "c" motor obviously doesn't fit either, but I have another frame plus the repop.... So when time permits, I can start fitting it all up and assemble my piles of parts! Except my new tanks that I ordered 6 or 7 months ago. But alas, I also have two sets of tanks. Same story, the second set were a little better than the first. From Paul actually, who makes the nice shcebler carb covers.....
            Regards;
            Milrite
            AMCA 17907

Comment

Milrite,
              27-28 and maybe 29, brake cross shaft tube,right side long,left side short,no casting numbers in trans saddle,28-29 left rear frame has brake stay brazed or welded on tube, 29 -34,start seeing changes to a wider back end,frame used for singles and 45 twins
              Ken S., # 6457
              1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
              1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

Yes Ken, 1926 is one-year only with short crossover tube, but there are frames both with and without the raised 26-casting. I would identify the frame as 1927-28. The 1929-30 21 Single frame has a full pan under the engine. I have not actually tried, but I have thought all the 21, 30.50 ahd D45 motors should crossfit all 1926-31 small Harley frames.

Regards Fiskis
                AMCA #2124

Comment

Originally posted by Fiskis View Post
                  Yes Ken, 1926 is one-year only with short crossover tube, but there are frames both with and without the raised 26-casting. I would identify the frame as 1927-28. The 1929-30 21 Single frame has a full pan under the engine. I have not actually tried, but I have thought all the 21, 30.50 ahd D45 motors should crossfit all 1926-31 small Harley frames.

Regards Fiskis
                  Hi Fiskis;
                  I thought the same about the late 20's frames for singles and 45's. But the tape shows 10" centers on the motor mounts, my B and C motors are both 9.75" on center.
                  Regards;
                  Milrite
                  AMCA 17907

Comment

Do you mean that the distance between the motormounts differ from your other frames. That seems odd to me. The R- and the W-series frames have different configuration of the motor mounts, but I believe that all A, B, C and D frames crossfit with all these motors. I'm now in Spain but I can check this out when I'm back as I have all these components at hand.

Regards Fiskis
                    AMCA #2124

Comment

Do you mean that the distance between the motormounts differ from your other frames.
                      Regards Fiskis
                      Thats correct.
                      Regards;
                      Milrite
                      AMCA 17907

Comment

Hi,

Checked out that the B, c and D motor cases fit in the Single and early 45 frames. I think that the frame you have has been extended by accident or as a try to fit a W series later 45 motor.
                        Attached Files
                        AMCA #2124

Comment

Hi,

Checked out that the B, c and D motor cases fit in the Single and early 45 frames. I think that the frame you have has been extended by accident or as a try to fit a W series later 45 motor.
                          Thanks Fiskis. I can see no sign of alteration, the mounting holes are not elongated in any fashion. I may just unalter and use it as it is. Throw the "C" motor in, the gearbox, stud the tires and head for the ice!
                          Regards;
                          Milrite
                          AMCA 17907

Comment

It must be an original road model frame, not a race "S" frame. It is hard to see on your pics but maybe there is a slight outward distorsion on the front upgoing tube under the front motor mount. That could move the holes 1/4" forward. It should not be difficult to correct the misfit.
                            Regards Fiskis
                            AMCA #2124

Comment

Working...
                            X