early sidecar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• early sidecar

This is the only decent pic of the hack that I have at the moment. I've got a feeling it originally didn't belong to the bike that it's parked beside but I was wondering what you folks think....

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

I would have to agree Cory seems to be a big difference in the two.....ahhhhhhh.......how big of a garage do you have?
    Hows the pan and sidecar doing?
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Any idea what it is Chuck? I've been told early Harley and Rogers has also been mentioned. The shop out back is not so large. I had to do some re-arranging to wrangle it all in. But when I was all done I did mention to the Mrs. that there is probably room for one more!!!

The pan is running pretty good. I always seem surprised for some reason when it fires right up. The hell it put me through still wakes me up some nights!!! I haven't done anything with the sidecar yet but I'm hoping to have it attached come next spring. You'll know when I'm on it as I'll likely be on here asking questions!!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Early Harley tub, would have to look at the side to tell you the year. Also sometime the tag is still in the panal in front of the seat. Oval tag , brass with year on it, and sel.
        The sidecar frame is not Harley as it has the ball clamps. I had one kinda like it, it was a New Departer? The seat looks 20's HD.
        The bikes very nice, you are a luck man.

Comment

Thanks!!!

Now those were the kinda answers I was looking for!!! Thanks!!.... I'll pull the hack out of the shop tomorrow and take some good pics of it. Nailing down a year would be cool. I've been told that it may be a '16. I'm digging the dare I say "patina" on it and the door even still works!!! As you can see the back of the tub is hanging out on it's own. Apparently the sidecar sat outside on the farm and the kids used to play in it!!! I kinda doubt that the tag is still on it as it didn't jump out at me but I'll take a better look. I'll take some more shots of the seat as well. It's in pretty good condition. It's looking like I've got to find the proper Powerplus seat now or is it that I've got to find a '20's HD to fit the seat I already have????
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Here's some more shots.... the nose on the tub has me wondering... I haven't found a picture of a Harley one that matches yet.....

Dig the wheel beside the tub.... hard rubber fixed right to the rim!!!!

Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

I guess the seat doesn't really belong on this thread but it was pointed out here so here it is....

Last edited by c.o.; 09-21-2010, 09:46 PM. Reason: added a pic
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Hey Cory,

This has been coming up from time to time never gave it a thought but the nose looks a bit similar to yours,the ad says this body still has it's id tag

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...967134192.html
                Chuck
                AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Marsh1915hd nailed the tub as early J era Harley. The frame looks like Rogers to me. I have a friend that has a Rogers car and I just recently took a close look at it. His frame uses the 'ball and socket clamp' as seen in the pictures. Also, the springs and checks straps look identical.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
                    Hey Cory,

This has been coming up from time to time never gave it a thought but the nose looks a bit similar to yours,the ad says this body still has it's id tag

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...967134192.html
                    Thanks Chuck that does look somewhat familiar...

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                    Marsh1915hd nailed the tub as early J era Harley. The frame looks like Rogers to me. I have a friend that has a Rogers car and I just recently took a close look at it. His frame uses the 'ball and socket clamp' as seen in the pictures. Also, the springs and checks straps look identical.
                    Thanks Eric!!! I'm confident now on what is sitting here. Now it's only got me wondering.... where is that Harley buried in that barn???
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

That old Harley is just down the street. The man that put my gas line in last year know where there is a bike in the basement. He says he can't remember. He not a bullshiter guy. Says it looks just like my J's. It's only about a mile away, I been looking.

Comment

That's where it went!!! Good luck on your hunt!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

early sidecar

My guess on this would be, it is a National sidecar. National sidecars were manufactured
                          By The National Dairy Machine Company of Goshen Indiana. Their claim to fame was
                          Producing Cream Separators for the dairy industry, when Ralph Rogers strolled in to their
                          Plant with a proposition for them to make the Rogers Sidecar, which they did for several years, unit a disagreement led Rogers to make his sidecars in Chicago. National Dairy
                          Continued to make sidecars under the National name, their claim to fame being the Vibrasorber chassis, sometime in that era changing their name to the Hastings Mfg. Co.On May 27th. 1920 they were granted rights from James Goulding to produce His
                          Patented chassis, which they called the National model G chassis, they also produced
                          The V chassis with the patented Vibrasorber along with Four body styles, The Touring, The Junior, The Meteor, and The Delivery. The Hastings Mfg. Co. fell out of favor with
                          Mr. Goulding as well and the Goulding rights were terminated Oct. 12th. 1921. Mr. Goulding went on to produce his sidecars in Milwaukee, and Hastings Mfg. Co. went out
                          Of business soon after. I have included photos of C.O.’s sidecar and the National sidecar for comparison. They look like a dead ringer to me. The date would be about 1916-1917.
                          Does this sound right to you guys or am I full of bologna.

Comment

I think you're absolutely right Clyde. Very interesting historical connection with Rogers.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

I think it's "baloney"......Ha!
                              Last edited by Mr. Big; 10-15-2010, 04:36 PM.
                              47 WL
                              51 Ls Sidecar
                              03 FLHT
                              http://www.gouldingsidecars.com

Comment

Working...
                              X