FXR sidecar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FXR sidecar

Met a guy who says he has a 1983 FXRT Shovel with a H-D tub on a frame that says made in Czechoslovakia . He says it does not have a leaf spring frame but a coil spring suspension. Does anyone know if H-D offered a sidecar rig for FXR frames? Hope to see this rig soon to get more details.

Steve
    Steve Cornish AMCA 6971
    TO MANY CLEVER PEOPLE NOT ENOUGH WISDOM

Steve,
    Yes they do offer or did.....for fxr's
    On craigs list do a search for sidecars there was one offered for a fxr a couple weeks back it still may be for sale good luck!
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Without seeing a picture I can't be sure but my bet is he's talking about a Velorex sidecar that is/was made by the Jawa concern for fitment on their bikes.
      They're a good lightweight sidecar and in Australia and New Zealand have been fitted to machines ranging from vintage to modern.
      Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
      A.M.C.A. # 2777
      Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Why wouldn't a FLHT sidecar work? It is basically the same frame as the FXR.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
          Without seeing a picture I can't be sure but my bet is he's talking about a Velorex sidecar that is/was made by the Jawa concern for fitment on their bikes.
          They're a good lightweight sidecar and in Australia and New Zealand have been fitted to machines ranging from vintage to modern.
          Saw the FXRT today and yes it is a Velorex frame but a H-D tub. Looked well mounted and said to handles great.

Steve
          Steve Cornish AMCA 6971
          TO MANY CLEVER PEOPLE NOT ENOUGH WISDOM

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
            Why wouldn't a FLHT sidecar work? It is basically the same frame as the FXR.
            Chris,
            I have only seen one as I remember the mounts and mounting points were a bit different to hook up to a FXR
            There was one for sale on Craigs list I think from Wisconsin the old "Touring" FXRT with the faring
            Last edited by Chuck#1848; 09-11-2010, 08:51 PM. Reason: Working on my spelling
            Chuck
            AMCA Member#1848

Comment

I saw one yesterday for sale in Ohio for an FXR, I found this site too http://www.searchtempest.com/ sure makes searching on Craig's List easier.

Comment

From my experience of trying to mount up something that isn't specifically for that unit, it is interesting. I used a sidecar that was a Champion for an Indian to mount on a 92 FLT, lots of work and fabrication required. Then if you want to add any things to the paired together sidecar mc it is a guess as how to make it fit. Fabrication and engineering made mine work. Only problem now, I bought a shock/dampener that goes from bike to sidecar frame and it doesn't fit. I would love to make it work because that little bit of tightening up helps at low speeds. I am still not really enjoying driving this thing. I get chauffeured around by the husband mostly. I like my servicar better still.
                Denise

Comment

Originally posted by servicardenise View Post
                  From my experience of trying to mount up something that isn't specifically for that unit, it is interesting. I used a sidecar that was a Champion for an Indian to mount on a 92 FLT, lots of work and fabrication required. Then if you want to add any things to the paired together sidecar mc it is a guess as how to make it fit. Fabrication and engineering made mine work. Only problem now, I bought a shock/dampener that goes from bike to sidecar frame and it doesn't fit. I would love to make it work because that little bit of tightening up helps at low speeds. I am still not really enjoying driving this thing. I get chauffeured around by the husband mostly. I like my servicar better still.
                  Denise
                  Denise,

Have your husband check the toe in and lean out on the combo anytime you play with the alignment it changes the the adjustments to the combo most times a low speed wobble is the toe in a dampner only maskes a problem that needs correcting, you may also need to pre load your steering head bearings( tighten them a bit more) to create "drag" when turning, This style sidecar should have a 4 point mounting system.
                  How is the rear tire wearing is it wearing even across the tread or is it grinding the right side of the rear tire? that is between the bike and sidecar.
                  Champion also makes a camber adjuster to raise and lower the sidecar does this sidecar have one? from what you describe I think you have a legend sidecar it is similar to the older Indian sidecars.
                  What doesn't fit on the dampner? it should mount to the right lower fork leg to the sidecar frame
                  Last edited by Chuck#1848; 09-18-2010, 01:23 PM.
                  Chuck
                  AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Chuck,
                    Yes it is a Legend, and the problem is where the frame for the front of the tub is square and it didn't fit the HD. The tub frame mounts are different than what it should have had, it still is a four point mount though. I have been adjusting the toe in and it really isn't a big wobbler. I really would rather have it all tightened up, but the shock is too long. This is because I had to change the front mount because it was for a longer set up such as the Indian or a different frame. Either way the objective was to just do as my steering dampner does on my servicar and make it tighter. The camber pulls the tub up which is good for driving on a really crowned road. I think you are right about tightening the bearings down on the neck (or is it a steering head). I haven't put too many miles on it yet but will check the tires for uneven wear next trip to the barn. I told myself I will get this thing figured out yet. It looks really nice, that skirted fender and old style tub gets a whole lot of looks. Thanks for the suggestions.
                    Denise

Comment

Working...
                    X