No announcement yet.

Goulding Rocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clyde, I'll take 10 of each I'm a bit confused, does the piece just go on over an already existing nose? or do you take the painted one off and install the chrome one? Interesting read about the lighter weight of a Gouldings rig, seems like all the reasons I was warned not to put a velorex on my brothers 69 FLH. Are there two different schools of thought on sidecar rigs? One side likes lighter rigs other heavier is better?

Comment

Neil, as a rule of thumb in sidecars, the sidecar should weigh about 1/3 the weight of the motorcycle that's the reason for sidecars of different sizes a velorex should not be hooked to a flh it is to light! also I would suggest that IF you do deside to go with the velorex beware of the mounting hardware! some of the older mounts tend to loosen up now this is not to say that you can't do it but you would have to literally fill the sidecar with a lot of weight or what we refer to as "ballast" to keep it stable in cornering and quick lane changes,when the sidecar comes up in the air the first thing that an inexperienced rider generaly does is panic and steer to the left the QUICKEST way to regain control is to let off the throttle and lean your body weight to the sidecar sliding yourself across the seat towards the sidecar to bring it back in contact with the road.

A goulding hack on the flh is a better fit along with the traditional HD car like I said to you earlier be patient one will come along. besides.....the 69 deserves better then the velorex Velorex is better suited for bikes around the 650 cc range.

Have you or your brother ever rode a sidecar rig? If not go to http://www.sidecar.com have a look around there you will find literature to down load for free on how to ride a sidecar rig.

Now a day sidecars come in all sizes shapes and riding styles from scooters to sport bikes on to the touring bikes.....keep looking and be patient winter is coming no need to rush now this will give you around 8 months till spring to scout one out.
      Chuck
      AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Chuck, I rode my Indian with the Gouldings sidecar for 4 years before I tore it down for an overhaul. I also rode a friends 1970 FLH with a factory rig for a number of years, he tried it and didn't like it so it was my job to run it while he collected it. I only had one bad experience with my Indian, I got the bright idea to remove the sidecar body to adjust the lifters and tune up my bike. Worked great, plenty of room and finished job much faster Then I decided to test ride it, I u-turned at the end of my road, while turning to the right at a crawl that sidecar was over my head and I was saved by the crash bars. I'll never forget just how fast that came about. What a difference the missing weight of the body made. We'll find a rig, just a matter of having the cash when it comes along Oh, here in Florida we don't have to wait for spring

Comment

Well said Chuck, you also have to remember these Goulding adds were from the 20's and
          30's when sidecars were used year round. lighter sidecars were needed to trudge through the mud and snow on less than ideal roads. Lighter sidecars provided less wear and tear on the machines they were attached to also. Most of the Goulding sidecars were designed in the 30's, the standard,cruiser,flyer,zep,and three versions of the rocket were all designed in the 30's.Gouldings were produced til 1956, but they were designed much earlier.
          To answer the previous questions, Chuck, no I don't know the owner, but like his sidecar very much. Neil, the chrome nose was an add on.

Also wanted to add this ,looks to be complete and in good shape.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...Q5fAccessories
          Last edited by Clydeflathead; 09-11-2010, 08:48 AM.

Comment

That one is sweet, there was one last week in Maryland I think, 1968 ex DC police with all original decals. Unfortunately son-in-law totaled his truck, so my brother expects to have to wait till the new year to find one. I will pass it on, maybe he'll have funds sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil74 View Post
              Chuck, Oh, here in Florida we don't have to wait for spring
              Geez easy telling where I live
              Chuck
              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Working...
              X