Servi Car Rear Axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servi Car Rear Axle

Attempting to tighten my rear chain, I discovered that the locknut on one of the adjusters is messed up in such a way that it just spins, but won't thread in or out.

Am I perceiving correctly that if I disconnect the chain and separate the axle clamps, I can slide the rear end back enough to remove and replace the adjusters, or do I have to remove the box and take the whole thing apart? I'm still reassembling after rebuilding the engine and trans, so the chain guard, exhaust and brake rod are not installed yet.

Thanks for any info!
    Ride it like you can fix it!

If you can turn the adjusters and get the chain where you want it and tighten the clamps you don't need the locknut.

Comment

Case Closed: turned out the locknut was frozen to the adjuster rather than spinning freely as I first thought. Lots of heat and Kroil followed by use of an impact driver finally got it free. But to answer my own original question, it looks like loosening or removing the bottom fasteners on the coil springs and shocks would have allowed the axle to move enough to install new adjusters. Didn't have to take the box off, but figured out how to do it if needed in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by jug View Post
        If you can turn the adjusters and get the chain where you want it and tighten the clamps you don't need the locknut.
        The adjusters were turned way far forward and the locknut was preventing loosening them, but I finally freed the locknut with heat, Kroil, and an impact driver.

Comment

Working...
        X