Recoil strap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recoil strap

Well, I snapped the recoil strap. Wore through the webbing at the point where it passes under the cross member. Once I disassembled everything I saw that it was also on its way to splitting the webbing at the rear bracket to tub attach bolt. No doubt the webbing can’t be expected to last all these years. So here’s the question. Has anyone substituted a different material i.e. cargo strap or leather? Next question. On the damaged strap. With the car standing at rest should the strap have been taught and slightly preloading the spring? The design ,unless I had it setup improperly did seem a little questionable from the get go. On a side note I always carried a tool bag at about #30 in the front of the car to help limit the travel..Any thoughts?
    Mike

Yes, they are always preloaded a bit. One of the members from NZ was reproducing some of those straps. A complete recoil assembly is on eBay as well. It ends in less than two hours.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Just looked at it. Pretty much the condition mine looked when reinstalled it this past winter. Same attaching brackets and spring. Looks like I’ll have to play detective for the strap. Appreciate the lead. If I have any resolution I’ll post it here. Thanks again.

Comment

20200915_183847.jpg20200915_185047.jpg
        I have some strapping and ends here that i have made up. It consists of two layers of cloth strapping sewn together to get the 1/4" thickness of the original. The weave looks close to original. In Australia. Straps shown for package trucks.
        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry. I haven’t been back to the site for a while. Nevertheless thank you for your fix info. I’ll save the photo as my reference. In the mean time I cobbled together a fix similar to yours using a cargo hold down strap that ejected itself from a semi. Time will tell. Keeping the tool bag at the front of the car was a descent means of controlling that crazy bounce.

Comment

Working...
          X