Package Truck Spare tire carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Package Truck Spare tire carrier

I rummaged this out of Al Muth's attic parts stash in the late 70's. When I bought it I thought it was a side hack spare tire carrier. I soon realized it surly wasn't for a side hack tub. I have it marked as a Package Truck spare Tire Carrier, but today I cannot find anything on the internet showing a Package Truck spare Tire Carrier. Any thoughts or pictures, or real world experience with this part? Al did have a really neat side hack with a tub as I remember that looks like a stock watering tank. He used it to haul bikes and if I remember correctly held a wedding party at one time.

Curly Package truck spare tire.jpgPackage Truck Tire Carrier.jpg

Pictures of Al in 80's during the hill climbs.
    Attached Files

Comment

Yes it is package truck. And the aluminum retainer used on them does not have the "hubcap" portion on it. They generally have another arm on them that locks into a spoke to keep the wheel from spinning.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by kurly View Post
        Pictures of Al in 80's during the hill climbs.
        The guy seating down in the middle in the 2nd picture is Clayton Warner born in Stanley Wisconsin and lived most of his life south of Baldwin, Wisconsin. The guy to Claytons right (our left) I only knew as 'Red' and he was from the Cumberland, Wisconsin area. Clayton and Red were life long riding partners. The other guy seated I remember but the name escapes me. I probably was there some place. Jerry

Comment

Jerry, speaking of Stanley WI a friend of my father, Oscar Emerson had a brother Arthur? Emerson from Stanley. He rode a sidehack until a ripe old age. He was fun for us young guys to talk with. Does that sound familiar?

Curly

Comment

Jerry, Alfred Emberson was his name. If I recall he had a steering damper he designed with a gas shock like what the Motor Company eventually came out with.

Curly

Comment

Originally posted by kurly View Post
              Jerry, Alfred Emberson was his name. If I recall he had a steering damper he designed with a gas shock like what the Motor Company eventually came out with.

Curly
              His name was Alfred Embretson and I knew him very well. He grew up in Stanley and was a good friend of Clayton and Red. I am thinking he was probably at the party you pictured but he would have been hanging out where the beer was being served. Jerry

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...fred-embretson

Comment

Hey Curly, I was just trying to figure out how to mount a spare tire to my 1929 package truck. Any chance you would part with that bracket?
                Mike
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike85 View Post
                  Hey Curly, I was just trying to figure out how to mount a spare tire to my 1929 package truck. Any chance you would part with that bracket?
                  Mike
                  The bracket he has is for a star hub wheel. Brackets for cup and cone wheels are different.
                  Last edited by Rubone; 03-09-2022, 12:17 PM.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Mike and Rubone got my curiosity up so I blasted the stem and found it has been lengthened at some point. Pictures show a stepped shaft, bottom diameter is 0.618, next diameter is 0.675, then back to 0.618. Original length is approximately 3 inches and lengthened to approximately 4 3/4 inches. Any ideas as what it started as, or what it was lengthened for?

Thanks Curly

Comment

Working...
                    X