54 Servi Car Trans Adjuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54 Servi Car Trans Adjuster

HI ... got a 54 Servi Car a while back, and I'm finishing up getting it roadworthy. Took the clutch apart for inspection, and found the primary chain quite loose. Proceeded to the adjustment phase, only to find that the standard trans adjuster has been replaced with some sort of home grown sawed off bolt, multiple washer, and double nut arrangement, which doesn't really move the transmission even with the nuts on the 3 transmission studs quite loose.

Appears to me that I can just pop that off (probably easier said than done *L*) and replace with the correct adjuster screw.

Am I missing something? Never worked on an old flattie before.
    Ride it like you can fix it!

The stock adjusting screw has a sort of washer section that fits in the slot in the frame casting allowing the bolt when turned to push against the casing to move the gearbox. In order to get the bolt in that slot it may involve removing the battery box as well to get the elevation needed to insert it in the slot. And that depends on the hole in the gearbox not being roached!! And if the primary chain is not the correct Servi-Car type it will be too long...
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Well, dang! Sure enough, it's a 100 link chain, when it should be 96 (per Palmer). But I also have a 30 tooth sprocket, which the parts catalog says calls for the 100 link chain, while the 96 link is for a 22 tooth sprocket.

Gonna have to pull the battery box to see what's up with that adjuster.

I've lost count of how many times you've saved my butt, Robbie!

UPDATE: wrestling the clutch basket and chain back on must have moved the transmission just enough to get it back together. Snugged up the "custom" adjuster, and bingo! No slack. Backed it down to 1/2" at the tight spot, which is barely different from anywhere else on the chain, and I'm in business. Gonna get it on the road for now, and investigate the adjuster issue over the winter.
      Last edited by JSB55; 07-03-2021, 10:43 PM.

Comment

I will be interested to know how the 30 tooth sprocket does pulling off from a dead stop with the servi? Seems a bit tall for the HP to weight ratio. Was going to put a 27T on my servi decided not too at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander View Post
          I will be interested to know how the 30 tooth sprocket does pulling off from a dead stop with the servi? Seems a bit tall for the HP to weight ratio. Was going to put a 27T on my servi decided not too at this point.
          I'll try to remember to let you know. It's just going to be a novelty grocery-getter, for now. But living at 6500 ft altitude drops the effective HP, so we shall see how it does.

Comment

Working...
          X