53 Servi-Car Tow Bar connection information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Servi-Car Tow Bar connection information

I am unable to find any literature on the 53 (or any) Tow Bar or hitch, setup to my servicar. I believe I have the correct hardware, or most of it but I was hoping someone could share any documents or phots of how it all goes together, For instance, I know it seems simple but how does the bar actually connect to the motorcycle axle? I have a spacer and a (kind of bushing, loose fit) that I imagine goes into the bar itself, hmm I am at a loss and would really appreciate some pictures or guidance. Thanks. Bob
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

The tow bar is actually fairly straightforward. Do you have the towbar rocker studs (rear studs on the rigid leg. It does not mount to the axle on Spring Fork models.)? They are different than the standard ones and have extended stubs on the end where the bushings ride. The clamp attaches to the ride control/shock mounts using a longer special stud.

https://www.hydra-glide.net/joomla/i...8-19-3-tow-bar
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Here is what I have. I am not certain if I have it installed correctly and It seems the tow bar would have to be spread to install it on the extended studs?
      Attached Files
      Bob Beatty
      AMCA 19209

Comment

I do not have a tow bar yet so I cant try any fitments. (Still looking for one). Are these part of my rocker stud arrangement?

Attached Files
        Bob Beatty
        AMCA 19209

Comment

Anyone have any information?
          Bob Beatty
          AMCA 19209

Comment

Your rocker studs are the ones needed for a tow bar. The tow bar would attach to the tophat looking piece.

Comment

Thanks Jerry
              Do I have the top-hat piece oriented correctly? ie with the brim closer to the fork?

Also, I am guessing the (steel) bushing piece fits into the end of the tow bar? Ive never seen a tow bar up close or been able to truly find a good photo of one, especially one that details the connection to the bike. . . its got to be out there though.
              Bob Beatty
              AMCA 19209

Comment

Yes, the "brim" (shoulder) fits as your picture depicts. There is a washer that goes on the outside between the towbar and castle nut. Hope this helps. Trying to attach pics...

Comment

Success...
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

THANK YOU!! thats wonderful to see a picture and get that feedback. I had no idea about the washer, that info is gold. I do wonder about the two steel "bushing" type pieces, I assume they fit int the tow bar itself and are a tight fit to the tow bar?

I have been looking for a long time for the information you just provided, I am surprised how hard it is to find detailed tow bar information. I am hoping to find a bar myself and finish you little servi-car off.
                    Bob Beatty
                    AMCA 19209

Comment

Nite Owl.

I have this tow bar. I do not know what year it fits. The coupler has these numbers on it. The Fulton Co. Milw USA G 3 Coupling Pat Pend

It is about 3ft long without the bumper attachment.

Dave
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

HI Dave - I PM'd you. I sure wish it was the correct one for me. This looks really nice, it unfortunately is not the one I require according to the parts book. MY Servi-car is a 1953. Thanks for posting yours on here, I am sure it would get snapped up quickly as it looks really complete.
                        Bob Beatty
                        AMCA 19209

Comment

One other thing regarding the washer I am missing. It appears to be washer # 6404 and its either a wave style or a dished style, I cant quite tell with certainty, I will try to find one, I have been pointed to Throttle Masters as a possible supplier for Servi-Car parts as thee were alot of Servi-Cars in Chicago back in the day, (apparently)
                          Bob Beatty
                          AMCA 19209

Comment

6404 is the washer part number. The washers on my servi are not wavy or concave. The washer dims. are 1" OD x 3/8" ID x1/8" WD. You might check with Bart at Old Dude (olddude.com 770-921-8325). If anyone has it it will be Bart. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you very much for the information, and for checking on the part you have. I am looking in the parts book and finally found Part 6404
                              It says its a 3/8" x 7/8" x 1/16" Spring Washer, ugh, I just contacted old dude and am waiting to hear back.. Thanks for the suggestion to call him.
                              Bob Beatty
                              AMCA 19209

Comment

Working...
                              X