Shovelhead sidecar mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shovelhead sidecar mounts

Can anyone help me. We’re trying to put a 1987 sidecar on a 1978 FLH. The mounts we have look to me like they fit an evo style frame. What mounts would work and where can I get them? Any ideas? Thanks

These are the mounts I have. I need to see what a 78 rear mount is supposed to look like. Might have to make one. And that top mount is missing some parts I think. Isn’t there a coil spring involved. If anyone has some pictures it would bea great help. Thanks
    Attached Files

Comment

If you change to the '78 mounts you will also have to change a few parts on the sidecar itself, like the front ball joint, the end of the rear mount, etc.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I think the front mounts that I have will work but the rear one won’t. If I knew how the 78 mount attached to the bike frame, I think I could make something that would fit both the bike and the sidecar. Maybe

Comment

Originally posted by dustydog View Post
          I think the front mounts that I have will work but the rear one won’t. If I knew how the 78 mount attached to the bike frame, I think I could make something that would fit both the bike and the sidecar. Maybe
          The 78 mounts are for CLE sidecar which used ball and socket joints and the sidecar you have is a TLE which uses heim joints. There aren't factory mount kits available to put new sidecar on old motorcycle so you will need to fabricate your own or trade for CLE frame. The front mounts are different also.

Comment

Are the mounts I’ve shown in the picture correct for the TLE sidecar? And are all the pieces there?

Comment

Another question is the brake line tee. Is there a part number and are they available?

Comment

Another question is the brake line tee. Is there a part number and are they available?
                Generic from an auto parts store.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Are the mounts I’ve shown in the picture correct for the TLE sidecar? And are all the pieces there?
                  Yes. There is a set on Ebay right now to compare.

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate the help

Comment

Can anyone help me. We’re trying to put a 1987 sidecar on a 1978 FLH. The mounts we have look to me like they fit an evo style frame. What mounts would work and where can I get them? Any ideas? Thanks
                      I hope I am not too late with my reply.
                      I hate to burst your bubble on your project, but beware, the 5 speed sidecar frame will not fit on the 4 speed frame bike. You can change out the S bar with the 4 speed sidecar as well as the rear mount from an 80-84 4 speed sidecar frame, but that is as close as you will get. The front lower mount on your 5 speed frame is bent differently than the 4 speed sidecar frame and you cannot bend it correctly to fit. If you bend the front lower mount, you will ruin the frame and value.

PM sent
                      Last edited by ryan; 04-16-2019, 09:48 PM.

Comment

I put a TLEU on a 72 Shovel and as stated all mounts needed made. If someone would send an E-mail I will forward pictures, haven't figured out how to post here.

bubbalowe@zoominternet.net

Comment

Ah this is bad news. You are just in time I think I can stop the machinist in the morning. We’ll I’ll have to rethink this. It may be easier to find the correct sidecar. I’ll have to talk to the customer. I sure appreciate your help. Bubbalowe I’ll send you my email.

Comment

Ah this is bad news. You are just in time I think I can stop the machinist in the morning. We’ll I’ll have to rethink this. It may be easier to find the correct sidecar. I’ll have to talk to the customer. I sure appreciate your help. Bubbalowe I’ll send you my email.
                            Hello,
                            The mounts you have now are worth a grand and the 5 speed sidecar that you have now is worth a lot more than a 4 speed fiberglass sidecar. I traded my 5 speed frame with the entire wheel assy. for a complete 4 speed fiberglass car. I have done that a couple a times with dealers.
                            You want to get a 1979 or older sidecar as they will work on bikes back to 1958. The 1980-84 4 speed sidecar will only fit back to 1970 and are not worth as much because of this.
                            As for the mounts, a repo set can be bought at vtwin.
                            Ryan
                            Last edited by ryan; 04-17-2019, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Sent pictures, hope you can post. The TLEU is an improvement with disc brake and heim joint connectors.

Comment

Working...
                              X