sidecar numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sidecar numbers

I bought a sidecar frame at a big swap in iowa. The ex-owner thought it was a 1931 v package car as it is for a single loop frame. It is wide, and the numbers I found seem to be OMWC4583. The first letter or diget is partially covered by a repair, and the m is not very plain. The axle is a 5 bolt and takes a servi-car wheel. I think it has been changed as the stub is not long enough inside to take the complete nut. The frame is very complete and in good shape. If anyone has Ideas about it let me know as I have a lot of plans fir it swirling around the old noggin. It could keep me from falling over at the stop sign on my 45 solo or the v on the bench.

Most likely should be 30MWC. That is a wide package truck chassis only. It never came from the factory with a body, that was supplied by the owner to suit their needs. The M is package truck, the W is wide, the C is chassis only. The axle and hub are incorrect, the wheel should be the same as the bike.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for the knowledge, it all sounds correct. If I try to find a correct axle and wheel what should I look for? Does any year or model of sidecar fit? I see a lot of 36 and later axles advertised. I also need the brake drum and brake. The cross over rod for the brake is in place and works. The frame has a long groove near the axle that looks like it holds the brake from turning I read that the fenders were usually attached to the body, but this frame has an L shaped bracket that looks original on the leaf spring. I have not posted here before, I see I am listed as a junior member. I belonged to the club for many years, then because of a mix-up in dues payment, I had to rejoin a couple of years ago.

Comment

The Junior member is the forum and depends on number of posts. No worries. The axles are specific to the type of hub you want to run. The -30 hub is for VL type wheels, the -36 is for star hubs. Most package truck fenders are body mounted, but for custom applications could have been about anything. I think I have a spare '36 up backing plate around here somewhere.
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I dug through my stuff and found nothing usable, a couple of rear drums and a front backing plate w/shoes and springs. Robbie, I could use that backing plate, could I trade you something for it? Do I just need a front drum to complete it? I have studs to mount it to the wheel and I have a usable star hub wheel. Does anyone have an axle they would part with?

Comment

I'll have to dig out the backing plate, as I recall it is bare. There is a NOS axle just listed on eBay, albeit a bit pricey. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Sidecar...cAAOSwtRlbkHD3
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I saw that axle, must be gold filled. I also saw some colony repos from $140 to $170 brand new. I am not in a big rush to change any thing, just getting my ducks in a row. I believe the shoes and springs I have should fit the backing plate you have.

Comment

2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Hi ,
                own myself a 29MW pakage truck frame assy.
                Attached 1931/32 package truck sales folder with details

Comment

neat pictures, they help when trying to put stuff together. I got a deal on an axle/brake complete set up for a star wheel, so that is the way I went. I also have a fender that fits, but need the little rod that hooks the front end of the fender to the sidecar frame. I should just make one I guess.

Comment

Dear Leo, I haven't seen that 1932 package truck brochure before, nice piece. Have you considered getting it digitised for the Virtual Library, or is it there already?

Comment

I have a sidecar frame that was made for a single downtube frame but was mounted on a knucklehead that I bought with an adapter kit. Wheel was a stepped star hub so I assumed the hack frame was a 35 because of the wheel. Maybe I am wrong. Anyway, I think the axle and backing plate are still there. I also still have the adapter pieces. I am in AZ and the parts are in ND. If you are still looking in the spring when the snow is away from the shed I maybe able to help you. Hit me up in about 6 weeks if you wish.

Comment

Hi Steve,
                        Yes, Think, I have original.
                        Can send you scans to put in library.
                        please advise to my e mail
                        leo

Comment

Working...
                        X