Harley VL sidecar help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley VL sidecar help

I recently acquired a 1930 VL sidecar frame, backing plate, and frame brace. So I am on the hunt for an axle, front down tube mount, rear frame mount, and brake drum assy. I have the center mount, and know what the front and rear mounts look like, but I can not seem to find a picture of the axle or drum assy. So, if anyone could help me find pictures, provide pictures, or tell me whom I should contact for information on the axle and drum assy., I would greatly appreciate it. I do have an original spare parts book, but the photos are just not clear enough to help me when hunting at swap meets. I believe I read that a front VL drum was the same, if so I have that covered, but not the sleeve that goes through it.

Thanks,
    Greg

I think I have a rear mount for you. I can look tomorrow. Also an NOS front but missing the clamp back portions.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

That would be great!, let me know if you find them. I'm new to the form here, but think you can PM me so we can work things out.

Comment

Dear Greg, my VL book has exploded diagrams of the Rikuo sidecar assembly, which is close to the VL one and uses the same part numbers. The brake shoes are the same as the VL front but the drum is not. I was never much into sidecars and sold what I had left to Replicant Metals in PA, so annoy Tom by giving him a call about stuff which is either long gone or not for sale. Harry's Flatshop in Bavaria also used to have a box full of sidecar fittings, but the trick of course is knowing which are the right ones when they are all jumbled together.

Comment

Hello Steve, and Thanks for your reply. I actually have both your VL book and Exotic VL Gearboxes book, and they have both been a great help on my projects. What I am running into, it that drawings are good, just don't show some of the other details, for example the axles are vey similar for may years, and I found one that looked correct, but after a lot of research I found it was for a much newer model. I'm hoping for a good picture(s) so I can learn the details between them better. Seems I can find pictures of later ones, and some early ones, just not a VL one. I do know Tom some, as I have both traded parts and purchased parts from him, so I will check with him too. And thanks for the info on Harry's, I'll look in to that also.

My next project will be the VL 4 speed, which I hope you may still have some parts for, but I'll keep this thread focused on the sidecar.

Thanks Again,
          Greg

Comment

I have a very good, looks NOS drum and splines.

Comment

RPjr, I have sent you a PM.

Comment

I probably have everything your looking for... You can PM me at ricbolduc@outlook.com

Comment

Thanks, have send you a message at address given. Greg

Comment

Working...
                  X