No announcement yet.

Hacks... How Comfortable Are They?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never been a passenger in a sidecar, but my wife, mother in law and sister in law all love it. I don't think I'd be able to take it personally... anyhow, here's a little video my wife shot handheld with her phone (poor man's go pro) sort of a passenger's eye view.

Mike Carver
    AMCA #3349

Comment

Nice video Mike. Who had the bigger smile??
      D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I've been haulin' a hack for 30 years with my '46 Knuck, and I've probably logged close to 90k miles. My kids and exes and present company have logged many miles with me, with no complaints. Only a few people have ever refused to ride in it, and even the most reluctant were impressed with how comfortable it is. I take it off occasionally, but always put it back on for practicality and SAFETY; people see you and don't pull out in front of you!

Cons: It's a lot of work for the bike and rider on some curvy, mountainous roads. The rear tire doesn't last long. It takes up more space in the garage.

Comment

This thread & the winter from hell America just had brings back memories. In my late teens my best friend had free access to his families 53FL with a sidecar. We rode all over central Oklahoma, sharing pilot & passenger time. We should be punished now, but we'd take it out after a snowstorm & bust drifts. If we got stuck, the 2 of us could lift & turn it out. In Oklahoma we get more ice than snow & we'd find a parking lot and spin donuts.
          Back on topic, the car had the windshield & apron, you could wrap your legs in the canvas & keep warmer, and it had the body strap installed. We never had much luck with the 3-brush adjustment, so we put a 6V golf cart battery behind the seat & could ride all night ( did not have to run lights in daytime back then)
          It was stroked with 80" wheels so it kept up with most 2-wheelers pretty well. It was 3 & R and was the first foot clutch bike I ever rode.
          I have a Hack project for my 65 when I feel I can no-longer hold it up safe.

Comment

Congrats to all contributors here as I await the arrival of my Ural sidecar to be attached to my '53 Zundapp KS. The best advice I've read is "hug the centerline while using a hack." Living in Iowa where spring is late coming this year.

Comment

Working...
            X