Adustable triple tree identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adustable triple tree identification

I just bought a 53 panhead. This is my first Harley. In the reading that I have done it looks like there are two different adjustable triple trees for side car use. In the Palmer book it talks about a triple tree that is adjusted by washers. I ended up buying one but it only has one large bolt with a castle nut on the other end but does not have any washers. I am trying to figure out what I have and what I need to locate for sidecar use. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jeff

The two different "adjustable" forks are very similar, operating on the same principle and look the same at first glance. One is for Big Twins, and that large bolt has two positions it can be inserted: one with no extra rake, but next to that hole, another location, further forward, which results in "raked triple trees," making the tubes not parallel with the steering neck.

The other is almost identical but lacks the machining to put the tubes in the "unraked" position. They were used on Servi-cars after 1957. They can be modified by a competent machinist to adjust just like the other ones.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

As Palmer says there are two different forks for Big Twin, both different than the Servi-car fork. The earliest type uses two short bolts threaded into the bottom center section for their adjusters. They are 1950 and possibly early '51, the '51 and later type use a long through bolt in an elongated slot. The Servi-Car type use the long bolt and no elongated slot, they are fixed in the extended position. A picture of what you have will clear up the type they are of the three types available.
      Oh, and the washers are not a washer in a normal sense, they are spacers with an oblong flat flange on them that bolts on to plug the unused portion of the slot.
      Robbie
      Last edited by Rubone; 04-29-2013, 11:06 PM.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Sargehere

Would you have any pictures of the machine work. I have never seen adjustable triple trees but do have some machinist buddies.

Jeff

Comment

I would also like to see pics and specs for doing the modifications. Question: Do the 1950 style with the 2 bolts just have two separate holes drilled for the two positions, or what is the difference?

Comment

Working...
          X