Harley LT Sidecar Step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley LT Sidecar Step

I have been looking for a step for my 33LT project. I just found this step for a left hand car if anyone is looking.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-INDIA...#ht_500wt_1339
    Bob Selph
    1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
    1940 Sport Scout
    AMCA#15215

Just finished. I will have it at Denton if I can get the handling issues worked out. Hopefully someone there can help.

Bob
    Bob Selph
    1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
    1940 Sport Scout
    AMCA#15215

Comment

Hey Bob, That's a sharp looking rig you have there what handling issues are you having? a common issue is the rig pulling to the right of which case that could be solved with a little bit more lean out of the motorcycle IF it is pulling to the right of the road.
      Chuck
      AMCA Member#1848

Comment

I'm prejudiced, but I think the '33 VL is hands-down the best looking VL. Gorgeous motorcycle and sidecar Bob.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. The issue I have is the handle bars wiggle from side to side. It is hard to take one hand off to shift gears. As long as you have a firm hold on the bars it is "ok". I haven't gone to 3rd gear yet. I have the lean adjusted properly I think. Hopefully someone can give me some guidance at Denton.
          See you there.
          Bob Selph
          1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
          1940 Sport Scout
          AMCA#15215

Comment

Bob,
            The "head shake" could be several things. But if you know for a fact the steering head bearings are adjusted correctly, and that the tire pressure is correct, then clamp down the steering damper. All sidecar rigs will wiggle at lower speeds if the damper is loose.
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I do not have a damper, only a ride control. I guess I am on now on a new search for a damper. I had someone tell me I could try tightening the head bearings a little tight and it may help. I think a damper would be be better solution Should tire pressure be higher or lower for use with the car. I run Coker 19x4 at 28lbs.

Thanks for all your help, Bob
              Bob Selph
              1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
              1940 Sport Scout
              AMCA#15215

Comment

After Robbie mentioned the steering damper I recalled that my '51 required the use of the damper; and screwed down tight too.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Bob, I see that Steve has a complete steering damper @ VL Heaven.

2776-30 steering damper complete, cadmium. Nice piece! $170.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by bselph View Post
                    Thanks for the compliments. The issue I have is the handle bars wiggle from side to side. It is hard to take one hand off to shift gears. As long as you have a firm hold on the bars it is "ok". I haven't gone to 3rd gear yet. I have the lean adjusted properly I think. Hopefully someone can give me some guidance at Denton.
                    See you there.
                    You shouldn't have THAT much head shake. Sidecar rigs naturally shake, especially on acceleration and deceleration. It is the nature of the very short-wheelbase "3-wheel truck." You are right in finding a steering damper and cranking it down. That will take care of most of the shaking. My '37 sidecar is pretty stable, but I can't take both hands off the handlebar without it starting a little shake, the develops into a lotta shake if left alone.

Insure that your wheels are balanced. It makes some difference on a combination. And that your front tire is at least the same diameter, O.D., as your pusher (what the bike's rear wheel is called on a combination). A slightly smaller front tire can affect trail, a function of the angle of the front fork and the front tire's contact patch with the ground. Good luck!
                    Gerry Lyons #607
                    http://www.37ul.com/
                    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Thanks Sarge that makes me feel better. I am using Dyna Beads for balancing and everything rides smooth. If the damper doesn't do it, I will get rid of them and go to regular weights for balancing.
                      Eric, I ordered a damper form Steve this morning.
                      Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

Bob
                      Bob Selph
                      1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                      1940 Sport Scout
                      AMCA#15215

Comment

Working...
                      X