LE sidecar wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LE sidecar wiring question

does anyone have a picture, or good description of how the sidecar wiring was routed on knucks and flatheads, and picture of any original wiring clips? does tail lamp wiring go to fender top lamp and then out of fender, or are they routed seperatly out of fender? my fender did not have a tail lamp originally, but did have a fender top lamp. has small holes drilled inside skirt of fender for the fender top lamp, any extra ones for the tail lamp drilled in fender??

There is one "trick" to sidecar wiring: The wire (two wires in a long asphalt sleeve, which is really all you get in one of those "Servi-car and sidecar wiring kits," is initially a ring terminal attached to the switched side of the brake light sw. and up, to meet up with the end of the wire attached also attached by a terminal to the taillight terminal post (one of the two insulated frame terminals on either side next to the top of the seatpost). The asphalt sleeve startes there. From there the sleeve runs next to the oil tank & down the rt. frame stay.

It runs across the axle, which contains the brake shaft, then forward along the foot-step supporting tube to the area of the foots-tep/fender pivot bolt, where you must leave a little slack, becaise you must loosen that bolt to raise the fender along with removing the inner and outer nuts holding the fender braces. to allow the fender to be raised up 90º to R&R the sidecar wheel.

The tubing comes back inside the front sidecar fender brace, or you can duplicate the routing of the taillight wires in the rear fender, up and around, stopping off to power the marker lamp on top, and on to the taillight, if you're handy. That can be a conduit of steel tubing tacked to the underside of the sidecar fender, or clips every few inches. I don't have a marker light, so just continue the wire sleeve horizontally to the taillight along the fender bracket.

The "clips" you ask about are (OEM!) wraps of black, cloth friction tape, honest! I've seen them positioned in various places, to make the whole wire as unobtrusive as possible, but never in the same exact places twice, so I don't know the exact "factory" locations for the friction tapes that hold the whole black sleeve to the sidecar frame and fender.
    Last edited by Sargehere; 04-02-2012, 07:56 PM.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Sarge,
      Could you post some photos of marker lamps for an LT sidecar?
      Thanks, Bob
      Bob Selph
      1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
      1940 Sport Scout
      AMCA#15215

Comment

Working...
      X