1905 Motorcycle Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1905 Motorcycle Review

In this 1905 Motorcycle review a Holley is pictured.
    Anyone ever see a Holley manufactured by Phillips and Hamilton, Bradford, PA?

IRon
    Attached Files

The other bikes pictured...including a Curtiss Double Cylinder.
    Attached Files

Comment

A few years ago there was a Holley motorcycle auctioned off by Midwest Auctions in St Paul. Got into a spirited bidding war between the Holley carb company and the Holley family who no longer owned Holley car company. Apparently the rep for the carb company was told not to come home without it.

Jerry

Comment

Great story Jerry - Thanks! I wondered if the bike was somehow related to Holley Carbs.

I just picked this off the "internets"...an article from the Bradford, PA newspaper in 1902. Check out who Mr. Holley raced against!

HOLLEY OF BRADFORD:
        He was the winner of the Motor Race from Boston to New York.
        Bradford Era
        July 7, 1902
        New York, July 6.-Thirteen of the 33 motor cyclists who started from Boston for New York at 8 o'clock Friday morning, in the inaugural American endurance run promoted by the Metropole Cycling Club, of this city, arrived at the finish, at 60th Street and Broadway, before 10 o'clock last night. The four leaders arrived in New York far ahead of their schedule and remained in Central Park until the schedule allowed them to come in and be scored.
        The following are those who finished and the time of their arrival: G. M. Holley of Bradford, Pa., on motor invented and made by himself, 5:18; M. P. Bernard, Crescent, 5:18; O.L. Pickard, 5:18; L. M. Roberts, 5:18; W. B. Jameson, 5:31; G. W. Sherman, 5:38; G. M. Hendee, 5:41; E. Hefilfinger, 6:12; F. W. Tuttle, 6:12; W. T. Marsh, 6:33; Joe Downey, 8:38; O. Mankowski, 9:00; Henry Almen, 9:05.

Comment

Iron!!! Thanks for posting this stuff!!! The closer you get to 1900 to the more mysterious and interesting things become. I really enjoyed seeing the strap-tank Harley!!!

Besides the Pope would there perhaps be any other "Indian clones" pictured in that publication???
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Oh, and here's a pic of Mr. George Holley and his 1901 model...
            Attached Files

Comment

Wow!! This is great stuff. Dig that rear sprocket! These were old world craftsmen for sure!!!
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Another article from a year earlier, 1901. Neat stuff, "Holley was tearing around the track...and went bounding off the board platter."
                George M. Holley and his motorcycle did some rapid traveling. George M. Holley, inventor of the motorcycle which bears his name, returned last night from Buffalo, where he has been exhibiting his machine at the International Bicycle races in the Pan-American Stadium. He rode a five-mile exhibition against the record by the Champion, and succeeded in breaking all exsisting records from one to five miles. The Express of yesterday contained the following in reference to the event: "Another feature of the day was the performance of G. M. Holley on his single motor. Holley was tearing about the track after the five-mile record when he lost control of his whirling engine close at the finish and went bounding off the board platter. The only damage was to stir up the officials. Holley never lost presence of mind nor attempted to dismount, but shut off the power and continued the trip over the sod. After a rest Holley came on again and this time was succcessful in lowering all exsisting marks for five miles.
                "Event No. 4- Exhibition of five miles, on single motor bicycle, by G. M. Holley. Time by miles: First, 1:24; second 2:50 2-5; third, 4:16 3-5; fourth, 5:44. Going into the fifth mile Holley ran off the track. Holley broke all records up to four miles. Previous motorbicycles records: One mile, 1:26 2-5, by Champian at Charles River Park, Cambridge, Mass., on July 31, 1901. Five miles, 7:16 2-5, also made by Champion.
                "On Holley's second trial he rode five miles as follows: First, 1:23 1-5; second, 2:47; third, 4:11 3-5; fourth, 5:38; fifth, 7:10 1-5, All world's records."
                Mr. Holley will return to Buffalo tomorrow and on the following day will compete in the motorcycle races at the Stadium. A special race has been arranged between Holley and George Butler of Buffalo, on single motor machines.

Comment

1902 Holley
                  Attached Files

Comment

Holley

Here is a 1902 Holley ad. It seems they made a belt drive as well. Tom Wilcock
                    Attached Files

Comment

Holley

In 1992 I was traveling to Bradford, PA. on Hwy 90 and bought some old 70's HCCA magazines at an antique shop in Ohio. One contained a story about George Holley passing away in Palm Springs, CA. It also told about his motorcycle producing days in Bradford. Since I was born on Bradford I had to check it out. The local library there had a wealth of information. His father's hotel still says Holley on an outside sign but has been renamed the Riddle. Across the street back in 1992 stood the iron works called Buford and Seyfang. They made Holley's first casting for his motorcycle. It is torn down now. My grandfather on my mother's side's brother used to work there. Holley had three shops at different times in Bradford. One of them still stands. One is under the 219 Hwy. he disappeared from Bradford about 1905. I was traveling to Detroit after my visit in Bradford. They have a huge automobile library there. There I found Holley again. Ford talked him into giving up on the motorcycles and coming to work fo him as he had carb problems on his first cars. Hence the Holley carb. Before George made motorcycles he built a car and a motorette that had three wheels. The Holley headquarters has all three in their foyer. Holley's motorcycle's had the transmission (probally only on gear though) case as part of the frame as the Crocker did. Only about three complete bikes exsist in whole and parts of about three more have been located. I have photos of alot of this but I'm not techie enough to post. I gave alot of this info and photos and such a couple of years ago to a member who found the bulk of a Holley up in New England.
                      DrSprocket

Comment

Working...
                      X