Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

W.O. Bentley and motorcycle racing... info anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W.O. Bentley and motorcycle racing... info anyone?

I am working on an article on W.O. Bentley and his early motorcycle racing career.
    Walter Owen Bentley, among other things, designs the BR 1 and 2 WW1 aero engines, invented the aluminum piston, and was the engineer behind Bentley Motorcars (later, Lagonda).

He was an avid motorcyclist and racer in his youth. He raced from about the age of 16
    while apprenticing at the Doncaster rail yards (1905-1910). He apparently rode
    Indian, Quadrant and Rex motorcycles while racing.

I am trying to track down a book that someone apparently wrote about his racing
    expliots... but no luck so far. I think Bentley Drivers Club has it... so I'll try
    them next.

But does anyone here have any pictures or info I can use? Anything on any of these bike brands? Or on racing in the UK in that timeperiod? Anyone have any background or info and/or willing to be quoted on racing in the UK from this period?

Not on a tight deadline, but any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Sirhr

There are photos of both Rex and Quadrent machines in the archive section of Yesterdays.nl They sell quite a lot of early stuff, good referance photos

Comment

Have you tried the Archives of "The Classic Motorcycle" magazine? They have a huge collection of Brit literature. And I seem to recall an article on Bentley in the past.
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
      X