SHAW battery ignition motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHAW battery ignition motors

I am seeking a source of close up photos of early SHAW battery ignition motorcycle motors to help identify the approximate year of manufacture of one that I have had forever. Someone who may be a SHAW collector might also be of great assistance in this endeavor as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by talbot-2; 01-15-2011, 02:24 PM.

It may help to see a picture of yours and then we can get to researching!!! They are cool little bikes!! For now here's a clip from Galesburg, KS. The video poster has other Shaw clips of other years as well.

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by talbot-2 View Post
      I am seeking a source of close up photos of early SHAW battery ignition motorcycle motors to help identify the approximate year of manufacture of one that I have had forever. Someone who may be a SHAW collector might also be of great assistance in this endeavor as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
      Okay...here are some photos. The cylinder is attached to the crankcase via four (4) one (1) inch head bolts. The photos that I have seen of Shaw motors show what may be a later or an earlier method with four (4) long bolts about 10" long, from the top of a different style cylinder head to the crankcase.
      Attached Files

Comment

Well now we have something to go on. Can you tell if the intake has been modified on that cylinder? I'm just curious as the intakes I have seen are similar to what this video shows....

Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

The intake on the cylinder head does not appear to have been modified. The entire cylinder head is very different from the one in the YouTube video. I've checked all of my "picture" books and they show the same cylinder head has the video.

Comment

I guess we'll just have to keep turning over stones until something clicks!!! I'm wondering if Jurassic might have some insight? Here's an interesting link with a timeline for the Shaw Mfg. Co.

http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/F...g-History.aspx
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Here's one on eBay, although a mag model this guy might be able to answer your questions....
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/barn-...18a8846d#v4-37
              Louie
              FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
              Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
              YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Originally posted by LouieMCman View Post
                Here's one on eBay, although a mag model this guy might be able to answer your questions....
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/barn-...18a8846d#v4-37
                Thank you for your suggestion. I did a search on eBay under "shaw motorbike" instead of "shaw motorcycle" and found a listing for Shaw repro parts from someone living in Galesburg, Kansas. Shaw's were originally made in Galesburg. Sent him an email for help.

Comment

Get ahold of John Hasty. He is an AMCA member, and I think well versed in this area. I have some pictures of Shaw's that I have had in the past. I have no idea what years they were, though, so I don't know if that is going to help.

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                    Get ahold of John Hasty. He is an AMCA member, and I think well versed in this area. I have some pictures of Shaw's that I have had in the past. I have no idea what years they were, though, so I don't know if that is going to help.
                    The person living in Galesburg, Kansas, that has listings on eBay for the repro Shaw parts was John Hasty. He was not able to specifically identify the motor. However, I did find under the dirt and grime from some forty (40) years ago, the number 12204 stamped in the top of the crankcase. Mr. Hasty is going to do some research with that information.

Comment

This may be of interest and is from a publication called "The American Exporter". April 1913 Issue.
                      Attached Files
                      Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                      A.M.C.A. # 2777
                      Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Working...
                      X