A New One From Detroit!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New One From Detroit!!!

I wonder if as many went out the door as were projected? It seems to me either a lot got scrapped in the drives or there's more to be found!!!

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

The face to face saddles are interesting
    Jim

Comment

They either switched that front seat around for 1912 or Richard has his on backwards!!!

Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Richard is quite the guy, one of the neatest folks I have ment in this hobbie. He really knows the machines and is very intelligent and one heck of an artist. Always fun to have Richard around, his collection is and always has been very impressive - biggest and best I have ever seen. Even better Richard rides the heck out of his machines. He is close to me and I am grateful for it. If it's on his bike, I would guess its correct, just my opinion - far from an expert at anything. When I ment Richard, he was riding a Crocker. I was on my bits of Scout, he invited both my Dad and me to come see his collection - WOW! Could hardly believe it and we never forgot the vissit. He is a neat dude, we were out last weekend and he was on a beautiful 1920 Reading Standard - awesome stuff!

Comment

Tom!!! Just by the clips I have seen and the articles I've read it appears as though Richard would be a hoot to have a b.s. session with. I was just kidding about his seat being backwards. It does have me wondering though if the artists rendition from 1911 was a little off. I think it would be rather distracting after awhile staring into your passengers face!!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Ponder this suggestion. Both the front and rear seats in the drawing appear to be identical....facing forward. However, at first glance, the side perspective does give the appearance that the front seat is facing the rear. Note the springs on both seats are at the rear of the seat.

Comment

Originally posted by talbot-2 View Post
              Ponder this suggestion. Both the front and rear seats in the drawing appear to be identical....facing forward. However, at first glance, the side perspective does give the appearance that the front seat is facing the rear. Note the springs on both seats are at the rear of the seat.
              Your eye is keen Les and I never even paid that much attention to the springs, just the shape of the saddles. Here's another version that appears more realistic....

Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

the very first henderson was actually built in 1911. it was unique from the 1912 models in several ways ,the most notable being that it was belt driven. in february of 1931 ,as the schwinn company was terminating the manufacture of motorcycles, the company gave this prototype henderson to the museum of science and industry in chicago. whether or not it is still there is unknown. the entire story can be found in richard shultz's book.
                Last edited by jurassic; 01-10-2011, 08:18 PM.
                www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

I never saw or noticed before the front seat feature on the early Henderson motorcycle! But it does explain the mile-long wheelbase and extra forward space on that thing!
                    Herbert Wagner
                    AMCA 4634
                    =======
                    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

I believe I heard the '11 Hen was in storage for many years and it was subjected to vandalism, or stupid disrespect by museum staff. Hence, the dents in the tank.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                      X