No announcement yet.

Waverley Single Racer From Jefferson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Chris! It looks like we can put New York on the map of dealers... Too bad there's no Jefferson motorsickles in the photo....
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
      This causes me to wonder as to whether there aren't a few more of these bikes/parts out there to be found. A fella can always hope! You mentioned Joe Koller's P.E.M. earlier and there's a photo of it in the article you wrote for the club magazine but I'm wondering as to whether or not it was ever written about in "The Antique Motorcycle"? Can you recall?
      Yes, Joe Koller had an article in the magazine years ago when he finished the P.E.M. Let me see if I can find the issue.

Dick

Comment

Waverley Brochure

Tom was gracious enough to send us some more stuff .........

Here's a shot of Canadian Champion Joe Baribeau. He was normally mounted on an Indian but is seen here getting a feel for the competition....

Jefferson single at a race in 1914. It is likely that Art Shuttleworth is the pilot...

Here's a shot of "Archie" Shuttleworth with one Miss Lena Penpise this may have been the twin sidehack that was ridden to Wisconsin.

Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Way cool! Thanks for sharing these photos.

Dick

Comment

Great pics aren't they Dick? Tom has been generous with the Jefferson material!

I was a little rushed this morning and didn't get a chance to post this earlier. Is it similar to the brochure you have? I guess the color would be the first difference.

Last edited by c.o.; 01-21-2010, 07:08 PM.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

I see that Jeff has updated his site. http://www.jeffersonmotorcycle.com/home.html Check out the history tab and click on Kenzler-Waverley. After info posted earlier this one's got me scratchin' my head. He's got some great pics and it looks like some well made products.
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

I can see why you are confused. No Kenzler-Waverley's were ever produced. They didn't have a factory even. I'll see if Jeff can correct his info. Also, Frank Kitlitshchko has the patent for the frame. In my research I found articles where it says Frank Kenzler, Perry and Kitltschko all designed the frame. Another mystery.

Dick

Comment

Great pics aren't they Dick? Tom has been generous with the Jefferson material!

I was a little rushed this morning and didn't get a chance to post this earlier. Is it similar to the brochure you have? I guess the color would be the first difference.

Yes. This is the same a I have except for the color. Did someone remove the aging ?

Comment

Here's another stab at it...... the initial scan looked a little blurry on my screen. Here's how it came to me originally.

Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

For anyone who is interested there's a great article on the Waverley in the Winter '96 issue of the club mag. It has some awesome race pics from Jefferson. Dick, have you written other articles besides this one and the Perry Mack one from '04? Also, have you had the chance to view the photo album that inspired Jeff?
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

For anyone who is interested there's a great article on the Waverley in the Winter '96 issue of the club mag. It has some awesome race pics from Jefferson. Dick, have you written other articles besides this one and the Perry Mack one from '04? Also, have you had the chance to view the photo album that inspired Jeff?
                        Cory, I updated the the '04 article last year but have not published it or anything else. I have seen Jeff's album and he has some really great unpublished photos of Jeffersons.

Here are the articles that say Frank Kenzler and Perry Mack both designed the sprung frame.
                        Also in the the Mack biography they say Mack designed the motor in the bike he was riding in 1905. That would be the Harley-Davidson. Here is Frank Kitlitschko's patent too. Going through my files I found an article that said Kitlitschko was already in Jefferson in May of 1912. 2 months after the release of the P.E.M.

Dick
                        Attached Files

Comment

Well ain't that somethin'........ Thanks for posting the article on Mack. It gave me a little Waverely fix for today and something to ponder!
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

Here's a few more races results from the career of Art Shuttleworth.

This pic is pretty bad but Art ought to be in it somewhere! I see these are the results from the same time period as the race pic with Shuttleworth that Tom sent us. This pic has race numbers on the bikes though.

Here's the photo again just to compare..

More results from 1914...

Last edited by c.o.; 01-28-2010, 08:02 PM.
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

I just found a little info on Shuttleworth in a hillclimb near Toronto in what I'm pretty sure is 1912. Check out the machine he was ridin'...

Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X