Waverley Single Racer From Jefferson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pem View Post
    Herb, I went through my files but couldn't find this exact race. I'm also sure it was Rockford or even Janesville. I'll keep looking. I'm sure I have a newspaper clipping of it somewhere.

Cory, the Waverley single was beating twins all the time especially in 1912. Here is part of an article fromt the Janesville Daily Gazette, Friday, May 31, 1912. This is an original clipping that Perry himself cut out from the paper. It's pretty fragile. The single was also
    beating twins in 1913.

Dick
    We probably have it in some form or other, but maybe only in brief form if it was down in Illinois. Offhand I can't recall Goudy's name in any old Jefferson clippings, but I haven't looked in ages. Since Joliet riders are mentioned, I wonder if they held races down there? Probably every town with a horse track.

If the Jefferson managed to beat Goudy, who was a pro and one of Ignaz Schwinn's pets, that would be big news!
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post

Herb, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that little Jefferson won that race. Did you ever go take a look around those old tobacco sheds?

Here's some 1913 race results from north of the border. The first listing is from the Sept. 1913 Canadian championships and the second is an endurance event.
      Cory,

I hunted all around that area for a couple seasons and saw the tobacco sheds which are still there. Every old farm and barn cried out for me to stop and search them as there are a MILLION places for old motorcycles to be hiding in that area. It is pretty country, mixed farmland and hardwoods, gently rolling in places with many rivers and some lakes. That is the old stompings ground of old Chief Blackhawk and you can still feel the presence. Good motorcycle riding country -- then and now!
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
        I believe there's also a photo of the factory building later on when it was used for bean cannery or warehouse. Today the site has a modern polebarn on it right next to the Rock River. You've visited the spot right?
        Your right. It's now the Jefferson County Highway Dept. I think there is more than one photo of the building from later years but the photo I posted is the only one I can remember being the Waverley factory. Here's another one from later and I'm not sure which part is the original factory.

I was exploring in Jefferson years ago when the river was drawn down and searched the river bottom and banks with no luck. Plenty of other crap though. You know they threw stuff in the river. Just before it was torn down a local picker went through the factory and found a race poster behind a wall. Last I know it was sold to a guy in Illinois.

Dick
        Attached Files

Comment

Hey Cory, check this out. What a small world. These photos are Jeff Haberman's. The sidecar photo was taken in front of the Waverley factory. Only known photo of the factory.

Dick
          Dick....... thanks for posting such great stuff! It is a small world alright when you get right down to it. I got a big grin out of those pics! This thread is downright exciting!!! That clipping is pretty impressive. I'm glad to see it survived and is in good hands!
          Last edited by c.o.; 01-18-2010, 08:02 PM.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

IMO there was no "New Jefferson" motorcycle but only the Jefferson, that is the bike renamed as the "new" Jefferson as opposed to the defunct older P.E.M. name.
            I would tend to agree with that opinion.....
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Cory,

I hunted all around that area for a couple seasons and saw the tobacco sheds which are still there. Every old farm and barn cried out for me to stop and search them as there are a MILLION places for old motorcycles to be hiding in that area. It is pretty country, mixed farmland and hardwoods, gently rolling in places with many rivers and some lakes. That is the old stompings ground of old Chief Blackhawk and you can still feel the presence. Good motorcycle riding country -- then and now!
              Sounds like a great treasure hunt! Your description of the area alone screams of a bike trip! It's been quite a few years since my last visit to beautiful Wisconsin and it's got me thinking I should try to get down there one of these summers in the near future.
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Barry, I hope I'm not hijacking your thread on that awesome yardlong too much but I figured this may be of some interest. It appears here courtesy of Tom......

Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Another Waverley sales brochure. Fantastic! I've always wondered how many have survived. Looks to be in fairly good condition. I see it is stamped with the "P.E.M., Fomerly the Waverley" slogan. I have never seen that before. Definitely 1912. Mine does not have the P.E.M. slogan. It was found behind the stairs in the Jefferson House Hotel in Jefferson many years ago during renovation. I have the original artwork for the Waverley depicted in the brochure. Interesting enough the bike is painted red in the artwork.

They were all set to sell Waverley motorcycles when they had to change the name. First production of a P.E.M. was March 1912. No production Waverley motorcycles were ever sold that I know of. There was Perry's 1910 Waverley prototype shown on an earlier thread and another prototype built in 1911.

No Kenzler-Waverley's were built either despite what you might read or hear. The bike was strickly on paper only. There wasn't even a factory!

Dick

Comment

I figured you'd like that one Dick........ This is another make that has quite the story behind it. It was a spectacular engine for it's day. Briggs & Stratton sure got a good deal when Perry was traded! Since the Waverley/Jefferson/PEM make didn't last for that many years, do you have any idea how many dealers were set up for sales?
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

I'm also thinking on the rarity of this make. Barry's comments on a pair of engines leads me to believe that there could be a few powerplants out there yet. Or at least I'd like to think so.
                      Last edited by c.o.; 01-19-2010, 09:18 PM. Reason: spelling.....
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                        I figured you'd like that one Dick........ This is another make that has quite the story behind it. It was a spectacular engine for it's day. Briggs & Stratton sure got a good deal when Perry was traded! Since the Waverley/Jefferson/PEM make didn't last for that many years, do you have any idea how many dealers were set up for sales?
                        Perry was chief engineer in the engine division for many years. He patented numerous engines and other devices while he was at B&S. I have the book presented to Perry when he retired from B&S showing all his patents. Well most of them. He also patented two
                        inventions in Canada too.

As far as dealers I believe there were more than we think. From New York to California. Plus numerous dealers in Wisconsin and I'm sure other states.

Dcik

Comment

That Shuttleworth dealer from Ontario shows up in some early article. I think when he visited the Jefferson factory towards the end c1914.
                          Herbert Wagner
                          AMCA 4634
                          =======

Comment

Hey Cory, check this out. What a small world. These photos are Jeff Haberman's. The sidecar photo was taken in front of the Waverley factory. Only known photo of the factory.

Dick
                            Herb, I think this is what you were refering too.

Comment

As far as dealers I believe there were more than we think. From New York to California. Plus numerous dealers in Wisconsin and I'm sure other states.
                              This causes me to wonder as to whether there aren't a few more of these bikes/parts out there to be found. A fella can always hope! You mentioned Joe Koller's P.E.M. earlier and there's a photo of it in the article you wrote for the club magazine but I'm wondering as to whether or not it was ever written about in "The Antique Motorcycle"? Can you recall?
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Jefferson,P.E.M. Dealer Rochester New York photo on eBay.
                                http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-12-Motorcyc...item2558653ba6
                                Be sure to visit;
                                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                                X