No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris Border MFG View Post
    Never mind that one. It went for over $65,000! Makes me want to stop thinking about cutting up donor cycl for fins and necks. Getting too valuable.
    a good source for cast iron is an old stove shop. if you look at a part long enough and keep turning it you'd be surprised how great some of the pieces fit. this is just one link from a shop i used to use. there are always more around. these guys have tons and tons of cast iron. the covers make great fin material.

http://www.bryantstove.com/

Comment

Thanks for the link. I havent used a donor in over 10 yrs now. I make or machine all the parts needed now. Always collecting info though.

Comment

Originally posted by flat-happy View Post
        i wouldn't be surprised if we see more come to the surface as we all get older and start dying off. that's why it's important to make sure everyone important to you knows what you have and what you want done with it after you croak. otherwise it becomes property of the state and the probate court. i'll bet there is a lot of previously undiscovered and unknown stuff out there yet.
        Not too far from me there's a local scrap yard, and the owners lets us poke around the piles and buy stuff, mostly by the pound. While I haven't found much vintage cycle stuff, I've found tons of old car stuff, and anything else you can imagine made of metal. Lots of times you see a load come in with lots of old nuts, bolts and parts in cans and boxes and other interesting old stuff, and you can tell someones cleaned out grandpa's garage or barn. I have to admit that even my youngest boy, who spent a lot of time working in the shop with me, wouldn't know what half of my "stuff" is if he had to figure out what to do with it. Two years ago I went to an estate sale for a guy that had been involved in restoring old cars for years. The cars and some obvious valuable stuff were gone, but the shop and other buildings were open and all stuff for sale. I remember as I was looking through bins and boxes on the shelves it struck me that it was just like going though my own shop looking for something.....
        Doug.
        Last edited by D.Mac; 01-05-2010, 11:25 AM.
        Doug McLaughlin #6607
        NorCal, USA

Comment

Fins

Originally posted by Chris Border MFG View Post
          Never mind that one. It went for over $65,000! Makes me want to stop thinking about cutting up donor cycl for fins and necks. Getting too valuable.
          I think someone suggested old air compressors for a source of fin material some time back. Also, I would suggest old refridgeration compressors and milking machine vacuum pumps, lots of these old units have shapes similar to old bike cylinders.
          Doug.
          Doug McLaughlin #6607
          NorCal, USA

Comment

Working...
          X