Ken

Comment

No problem and Thanks for the pic's more for my collection
      Jeff Bowles
      Arkansas
      Membership # 14023
      1957 Sportster

Comment

Well Ken it looks like you figured the picture thing out easy enough! Jeff's post looked very helpful. I love that Excelsior of yours. It looks like it's got plenty of character! Thanks for putting it on display for us to drool over The Harley looks pretty good too! I sure would like to see that '12 though....
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Well c.o. here it is , hope you like , it's a great bike to ride the little country lanes on , dreaming I have all the time in the world to get nowhere in particular , Ken

IMG]http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt69/kenanlin/WestKentRun260606b.jpg[/IMG]

Ken

Comment

here's another

Last edited by Ken Lee; 08-25-2009, 03:17 AM. Reason: wrong pic went on
            Ken

Comment

Thanks Ken! That bike is awesome! I'm also glad to see that you use your machines for what they were intended for. Those Excelsiors of yours are pretty impressive "Time Machines!"
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Is there any other use for them than what they were made for ???? -- riding !! happy riding , Ken
                Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Lee View Post
                  Is there any other use for them than what they were made for ???? -- riding !! happy riding , Ken
                  Exactly!!
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Looks like a 1915 with later tanks to me

If I could chime in here, I'd like to put my two cents in.
                    The fork is 1915 for sure. Three point mounting for the fender at the top mount and it is visibly narrower than the 1916 up fork.
                    I'm leaning on the frame being 1915 because of a couple of features.
                    The rear axle clips. On 1915, there is one continuous arc between the upper stay and the lower stay. 1916 had two smaller radii with a small vertical section between them. This frame has the 1915 style clips. Note that 1917 had a completely different rear axle clip.
                    In 1915 there was no LH sidecar available and in 1916 there was. On 1915 frames on the left rear axle clip, the front stud for the rear stand is "mushroom" shaped. In 1916, it is threaded. That stud on this frame is the 1915 style.
                    I can't see it very clearly but it looks like the tanks may not be 1916 (one year only tanks) As Billy Campbell pointed out, 1916 tanks have the cast brass mounting lugs on the underside. The profile of the one that I can see looks like it is the 1917 and up stamped style. The clutch pedal is 1915/1916 style. I can't tell on the brake pedal, but 1915 and 1916 were the same there too.
                    Looks like a 1915 chassis with 1917 or later tanks.
                    Just my opinions.
                    Mark Masa
                    Link Cycles
                    Mark Masa
                    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Hi. A friend of mine has asked me to help identify a early HD bottom end. He recently bought a 1925 JD.
                      But with the deal came a spare bottom end that is intact with rods etc.
                      He thinks that it is from 1914 to 1917.
                      The cases are stamped 3544M.
                      Does anyone have the expertise to date them from this VIN.
                      Regards Steve
                      Steve Little
                      Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
                      Australia.
                      AMCA member 1950

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Little View Post
                        Hi. A friend of mine has asked me to help identify a early HD bottom end. He recently bought a 1925 JD.
                        But with the deal came a spare bottom end that is intact with rods etc.
                        He thinks that it is from 1914 to 1917.
                        The cases are stamped 3544M.
                        Does anyone have the expertise to date them from this VIN.
                        Regards Steve
                        Sounds like 1916 cases to me with it ending in M. 1917 was the first year that actually had the year in the vin (first two digits are year, followed by model distinction, followed my number) if I remember correctly. The 1916 cases were the last year where the "HARLEY-DAVIDSON" protroduded out of the case rather than embossed inward. I have a spare 1916 motor if anyone needs one, or would buy a chassis if there is one floating around and build a bike around it. 360-600-6388

Comment

Anybody notice what it says on the black bag in the background of the first picture Ken posted - the one with the Ex and the Indian?

"I am", Ken, "I am!"
                          AMCA 15783

Comment

Kevin , I have not noticed that before , went and looked to see if it was short for something but isn't , anyway aren't we all at times , I am guilty of that too but then so are most people probably to a more or lesser extent but it's good to be able to share at least pictures on these sites , looking forward to seeing other members envious treasures , Ken
                            Ken

Comment

Working...
                            X