No announcement yet.

1910 Minneapolis two-speed, single, battery ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The two carb pictures that Cory posted originated out of the Victor Page book "Early Motor-Cycles, construction. operation, service." My copy was printed in 1918 and I'm not sure if there were any printed earlier than this but for you guys that are into this early stuff this book should be a must have.
    I'm way out of my field of expertise here but in the above book on pages 315 and 317 there are exploded views of Michealson and Minnieapolis engine transmission units and about 3 pages of text on how they operate.
    Those illustrated appear to be of a unit construction type and the one on Les's bike a seperate unit but the descriptions may give Les enough idea on fixing his oil leak.
    Cory if you got those pictures out of Victor Page's book look at pages 313 to 317 to see what I mean and if you think this is what Les wants maybe you could copy it for him.
    Hope this helps you Les.
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Tommo, I have random copies that amount to a healthy stack of paper with this kind of info. I do however have a copy of "Early Motor-Cycles" and will dig it out tonight and have a look at the pages you mentioned.
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks to both Jurassic and Tommo for both of your replies.

Jurassic: The photo that you posted is a 1910 Minneapolis. If you could email me a jpeg attachment of that Minneapolis/Postman photo I would appreciate it.

I will try your suggestion on disassembling the carburetor.

Tommo: Your message reminded me that two weeks ago I found my copy of Victor Page's book. We moved two years ago and some of my old books are just hitting the shelves. Thanks for the reminder. I now recall referring to it back in the 1970's.

I have researched the Minneapolis Motorcycle Company and have the following to offer concerning it's history.

I have a two page chronology of the models of the Minneapolis cycles from 1908 through 1913. Construction ceased on January 5, 1914. The Michaelson brothers were involved in the Minneapolis business from 1908 through 1911. They sold to another group and then began building Michaelson motorcycles in 1912-1913. The "Michaelson" cycle lasted through 1914 with the inventory being sold to the Wilcox Motor Car Company. Construction of motorcyles by the Michaelsons then came to an end.

The third motorcycle race at the 1909 FAM National Convention held at the new Indianapolis Motor Speedway on August 14, 1909, was won by Indianapolis native Paul Kottlowski on a 1909 Minneapolis, two-speed. His winning trophy now resides on loan by the family in the IMS Museum. The trophy for the 2008 motorcycle race at the IMS was modeled after the 1909 trophy. Mr. Kottlowski is pictured in several Minneapolis advertisements of 1909 and 1910. His trophy is also pictured in the 1910 Minneapolis sales brochure.

Les

Comment

Looks like Les has got it covered
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

I thought the Minneapolis 2-speed was built using advanced unit construction with the gear unit and motor (bolted?) together. In the pix of the 1910 model they look to be two separate units. Either I'm wrong, seeing wrong, or they changed it.

For some reason multi-gear motorcycles didn't catch on right away in America. Maybe riders preferred simplicity over the advantage a 2-speed would give. You can imagine what sand and mud and road dirt would do unless the gear unit was sealed properly. Or if mounted on the engine shaft (like some were), what a spill would do. Probably totally wipe it out.

What is the 2-speed unit like in the Minneapolis? How is it constructed?
            Last edited by HarleyCreation; 06-04-2009, 10:55 AM.
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======
            The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

1910 Minneapolis, two-speed transmission

On the 1908, 1909, and 1910 Minneapolis, two-speed, motorcycles the "Michaelson" two-speed transmissions were mounted in a case separate from and behind the engine crankcase. In 1911 the "Michaelson" two-speed transmission was combined in the engine case as a "Unit Power Plant" as advertised by the Minneapolis Motorcycle Company.

The "Michaelson" two-speed transmission is a planetary gear system that is operated by a friction clutch mounted on the engine shaft and operated by a squeeze control lever mounted on the underside of the left handle bar grip. The planetary gear is changed by a control mounted on the motorcycle top crossbar halfway between the front fork and the seat post immediately above the oil and gas tanks. Low gear is when the control handle is pointed forward, neutral is straight up, and high gear is when the control handle is pointed toward the rear.

It has very quick acceleration and would reach a speed of 50 mph plus very quickly. I rode it around the "500" IMS track in 1968 with other antique motor vehicles at the Indy Swap Meet and Vehicle show. That was a real thrill.

However, I don't plan to ride it that fast at my age and the cycles age.........

The Minneapolis two-speed had a history of winning several races in the midwest, but the company was probably underfinanced and failed to have a extended network of dealers throughout the country.

Les

Comment

The Minneapolis Motorcycle motors were supplied by the motor manufacturers as noted below.

1908 - Theim
                1909 - Thor
                1910 - Thor
                1911 - Spacke
                1912 - Spacke
                1913 - Spacke

1914 - No motorcycles were produced, only the prototypes pictured in an article in the September 20, 1913, of the "Motorcycling" magazine. They closed their doors on December 26, 1913, with the inventory absorbed by the Wilcox Motor Company of Minneapolis. MN, with no plans to manufacture motorcycles and tri-cars.

The Michaelson brothers, founders of the the Minneapolis Motorcycle Company left the company in 1912 and founded the Michaelson Motor Company also located in Minneapolis. The Michaelson Motorcycle was first for sale in 1913 with production concluding in 1914. The Michaelson motors were also made by Spacke.

Comment

Thanks for the Minneapolis data! That's a another batch of history I'll have to try and lodge into my memory banks......
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks......Sadly, as with other marquees, there is a lot of misinformation circulating in current publications and websites concerning the Minneapolis and Michaelson companies. The research information that I have posted is from vintage newspaper, magazine, city directory, U. S. Census, and other vintage library sources. I have only posted the highlights.
                    Last edited by talbot-2; 12-31-2009, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Well said! There is a ton of misinformation out there on many early makes. One only has to have a look at Chris' post on Henry Melk's invention of the H-D!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Thor Carb

Hi Talbot 2

You were asking about any info regarding the Thor Carb -

I have a parts listing book that shows the various parts - see attached picture of Carb parts

There was 2 different models - which I think used the same carb for the singles - One was for the Battery / coil ignition where the carb was mounted in front of the cylinder - and one was for the Magneto ignition mounted behind the cylinder.

I think the manifold was the only part that changed

if you want any further pictures drop me a line

PS I have my Thor for sale on Ebay (NO Carb !!!)
                        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1910-11-Thor-I...item3a5927891e
                        Attached Files
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                          les ,my carb is a little different than yours ,but i thought the intake mounted to the carb .in your picture it looks like the intake is part of the carb body?if i were you ,i'd take it off at the intake nut on the valve pocket tower,and then soak the whole thing for a while..the bowl ,should just unscrew from the body.that is one beautiful bike,not really a rebadged thor either.those michealson guys were totally into two speeds.i bet Ky would love to own that piece. ,are you putting anything on the paint for preservation?
                          Jurassic...At this point, I have not put anything on the paint for preservation. I have been out of the antique motorcycle restoration "loop" for a number of years and am not familiar with the 21st century restoration practices.

I have heard that some use Kramer's Antique Improver to clean up old metal. ??? Don't know if that is a preservative or just a cleaner. I have also heard about some using "Kroil" as a finish preservative. While others use a "Sea-Foam" product similar to Kroil.

So....what would your advice be to preserve the 100 year old paint?

Comment

Lovely bikes , best preservative is using it and wiping over with an oily rag !!!
                            Mention has been made of Victor Page's Book , a truly must have for the veteran enthusiast , I was lucky and found one but do not have to dirty the pages as it is available as an Adobe Acrobat Document , courtesy of 'The United Sidecar Association Inc , go to their web address -
                            -- http://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp --- click on links and books , then on new page click on
                            Books and Articles and then download the 11 chapters , well worth reading or use as reference
                            then enjoy , Ken
                            Last edited by Ken Lee; 03-30-2010, 04:27 PM. Reason: spelling correction !!! sorry
                            Ken

Comment

Thanks Ken for your suggestion. I have a copy of Victor Page's book that I have had for more than 35 years. It does have some good information.

Les

Comment

Working...
                              X