Standard Oil Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Big Man

Those later Pennington articles make me smile. You gotta admire the sheer audacity of the guy and what he managed to do with larger than life ideas and force of personality. You can see it from those 1909 articles that he went back to his early airship roots towards the end. (He died in 1911). That was his first love and orginal claim to fame as told in part 1.

The Motor Cycle "growed" out of his c1890 airship, specifically the engine, which was unique and different from anything else in existence at the time. It's not like he was totally a fraud by any means, and yet he was!

That makes Pennington almost impossible to fully understand. He was a phenomenon, an enigma. Almost like he stepped off an airship from another planet, bringing wonderful ideas to mankind, and yet delighting in being a trickster too. I've studied the guy for years, and I still don't fully understand him. It's like he's a being out of Greek or Native American mythology, and yet he was operating in our own American Midwest: Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, New York, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc.

You can't get get any closer to home for many of us that that!
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post

"The Standard Oil Company's product does the work."
      Notice that he doesn't state what the "product" actually is!

There was probably a reason for that and it comes up in Part 2: "Motor Cycle City."

Anyone want to guess what I'm hinting at?
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======

Comment

hmmmmmm..........are they suggesting that without their product, Mr. Pennington's machine could only be powered by human exertion?
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

hmmmmmm..........are they suggesting that without their product, Mr. Pennington's machine could only be powered by human exertion?
          Yes, that could surely be one reason. But also (hint) a safety factor that we rarely think about today. Even in the name: Standard OIL.
          Herbert Wagner
          AMCA 4634
          =======

Comment

Are we talking about engine seizure? Is OIL the hint? Man if it isn't, then I guess I'm just a little slow!!!
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Are we talking about engine seizure? Is OIL the hint? Man if it isn't, then I guess I'm just a little slow!!!
              Sorry Cory, I didn't mean to torture you. My hunch is that it was an early thing about gasoline being considered very dangerous compared to "oil" or kerosene. People were afraid of gasoline back then and afraid of so-called "explosion" engines that ran on the stuff too. I think that's why Pennington often avoided using the word gasoline and claimed his engine ran on kerosene or "coal oil." That's a nifty term now obsolete.
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======

Comment

Thanks for letting me off the hook Herb...... it seems so obvious now! Looking forward to the next installment on Pennington......
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                X