The "1906" Harley-D at Wauseon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herb,
    In Jean Davidsons book "Family Album" on page 16 there's a photograph with the caption that starts
    "Arthur kneeling, was friends with Ole Evinrude, standing in the middle. In 1902 they started their own pattern-making company; here they pose with a pattern and their two employees."
    Unquote
    Where was this business and what effect did this have on early production? If Arthur was already involved in pattern making this must of had some influence on his and his brothers later exploits in motorcycle production.
    Was the shed they are photographed in on Ole Evinrude's place or is it part of the Davidson's or is it somewhere else?
    I read all this stuff about the early history of HD with great interest but have very little to contribute generally but it seems that if Arthur was involved with his own pattern making business this must have set him in good stead for what was to follow.
    I can't remember this issue being discussed before but if it has I'm sorry and would like your opinion on what effect this had on his later ventures.
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Tommo, I always thought Arther's pattern making ability gave them great flexibility and an advantage over many other fledgling motorcycle companies. It was their motors that put Harley Davidson on the map and the ability to quickly fix or change a pattern must have been a huge assest in making better motors.
      Last edited by exeric; 02-03-2009, 01:55 PM.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

If you look at an early Clemick- Evinrude vs. an H-D the comparison is striking. That is except cooling fins on the marine motor.... interesting topic Tommo......
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
          If you look at an early Clemick- Evinrude vs. an H-D the comparison is striking. That is except cooling fins on the marine motor.... interesting topic Tommo......
          In re-reading this post I realized I was a little hasty the first time around.......... scratch marine motor and replace it with motor car.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by aka HAWG View Post
            while re-read my post I made a mistake in my typing

should have asked if there is a possiblity that due to testing and research in 1906, is it possible that in late 1906 there was an 8-bolt motor????

aka HAWG
            That is possible, but until we have some period evidence or proof of it, we should be careful and not say it is true.

It's too easy for "maybe" to become a so-called fact. So much myth and outright advertising deception has been foisted on us over the years that I think it's important to stick to known facts based on evidence. But always keeping an open mind and willing to accept new findings as additional evidence becomes available.
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======
            The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
              Was there actually a backyard shed in 1904?
              I'm willing to accept there probably was. That's based on my belief that the backyard shed already existed, and that the boys did not build it as a motorcycle workshop. Possibly, likely, it was already there by 1904, and maybe earlier.
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======

Comment

Originally posted by tst
                Jean Davidson tells the story that they worked in the basement of the parents home and their mother chased them out as she did not like the mess, that is why the shed was built
                Tim
                There is an old article that tells of a gasoline explosion in the basement or kitchen of the Davidson home and that's why the boys were ejected from further experiments. But I was told by Willie G.'s dad (in spite of what some articles say), that the shed was already there and the boys merely took it over. He said old man Davidson had built it as his own workshop; not for motorcycle use, but it later became that.
                Herbert Wagner
                AMCA 4634
                =======

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
                  Herb,
                  In Jean Davidsons book "Family Album" on page 16 there's a photograph with the caption that starts
                  "Arthur kneeling, was friends with Ole Evinrude, standing in the middle. In 1902 they started their own pattern-making company; here they pose with a pattern and their two employees."
                  Unquote
                  Where was this business and what effect did this have on early production? If Arthur was already involved in pattern making this must of had some influence on his and his brothers later exploits in motorcycle production.
                  Was the shed they are photographed in on Ole Evinrude's place or is it part of the Davidson's or is it somewhere else?
                  I read all this stuff about the early history of HD with great interest but have very little to contribute generally but it seems that if Arthur was involved with his own pattern making business this must have set him in good stead for what was to follow.
                  I can't remember this issue being discussed before but if it has I'm sorry and would like your opinion on what effect this had on his later ventures.
                  Yes, I know that photo and used it too. Arthur D. II had it. I think it was me who best guessed the 1902 date for it, based on bits and drabs found in various early articles. I don't think we know where the business was located or what building that was. It was Ole's business maily, and Arthur worked for him. Didn't I cover this in the Creation book? We know that Ole had a few different businesses and locations early on, none of which lasted too long.

Arthur was an pattern maker by trade, but never got beyond the apprentice stage, so he later joked at least. Arthur made the patterns for the motor bicycle engine and the first motorcycle engine, as stated in early accounts and it seems logical enough. I believe it. But he didn't stick with the pattern making for too long. He went into sales pretty early, already by 1905, the first year of production, or by 1906. Seems like that's in Creation book too. Sorry if I can't remember it all. (Pennington has been filling my brain of late).
                  Herbert Wagner
                  AMCA 4634
                  =======

Comment

Yes, there are too many features in common between the 1903 Evinrude and 1904-05 Harley motors to be coincidence. Esp. since Ole was their pal. Bruce Linsday first pointed this out to me.
                    Herbert Wagner
                    AMCA 4634
                    =======

Comment

Good to see this subject come back up. Thanks for weighing in Herb! There had to be outside influences at some points in the early days. How else would the machine have turned out so darn perfect?
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

I was just reading "Through The Harley-Davidson Factory" With Uncle Frank. This is a publication for the 1930 model year.
                        On page one he says,"Mighty oaks from little acorns grow. Yessir, there's a line that means something. Anyway, as far the history of Harley-Davidson is concerned and while you and I are walking along, on this trip through this big factory I want you to keep that line in mind, because twenty-five years ago this great factory was a little acorn."

Lemme see now, 1930 minus 25 = 1905.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Good to see this subject come back up. Thanks for weighing in Herb! There had to be outside influences at some points in the early days. How else would the machine have turned out so darn perfect?
                          That's a good basic logical point lost in the myth. That first model (1905) was darn near perfect for the day. It's just too bad that somebody didn't interview the founders after a few beers and get the entire complete and true story of how that machine exactly came about.

Would they have admitted influence from the Merkel? Or input from Ole and how much? How important was Henry Melk's lathe? (Actually now I think it was his father's late). How much work was actually done in that 10x15 backyard shed? And exactly how did C.H. Lang, the piano tool maker from Chicago, get hooked up with them?

We'll never know, but at least now we know the right questions to ask and names to go with them.
                          Herbert Wagner
                          AMCA 4634
                          =======

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                            I was just reading "Through The Harley-Davidson Factory" With Uncle Frank. This is a publication for the 1930 model year.
                            On page one he says,"Mighty oaks from little acorns grow. Yessir, there's a line that means something. Anyway, as far the history of Harley-Davidson is concerned and while you and I are walking along, on this trip through this big factory I want you to keep that line in mind, because twenty-five years ago this great factory was a little acorn."

Lemme see now, 1930 minus 25 = 1905.
                            That's another really good quote! I believe that one slipped by me too. Frank (Hap Jameson) would have known the facts, and putting it at 1905 was a brave and honest thing to say. After all, we know today that was the first year they actually began producing motorcycles for sale on a small scale.
                            Herbert Wagner
                            AMCA 4634
                            =======

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
                              That's a good basic logical point lost in the myth. That first model (1905) was darn near perfect for the day. It's just too bad that somebody didn't interview the founders after a few beers and get the entire complete and true story of how that machine exactly came about.

Would they have admitted influence from the Merkel? Or input from Ole and how much? How important was Henry Melk's lathe? (Actually now I think it was his father's late). How much work was actually done in that 10x15 backyard shed? And exactly how did C.H. Lang, the piano tool maker from Chicago, get hooked up with them?

We'll never know, but at least now we know the right questions to ask and names to go with them.
                              Exactly! There was so much going on in Milwaukee at that time that it would be pretty easy for an idea to be "borrowed". I personally think, that work done in the backyard shed was likely for the most part assembly only. 10x15 isn't a whole lot of room for major machinery needed to fabricate parts. But that's just an opinion and not fact! Great questions by the way!!! It leaves one to wonder..............

Oh, and great quote Chris. That's very interesting to hear!!!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Exactly! There was so much going on in Milwaukee at that time that it would be pretty easy for an idea to be "borrowed". I personally think, that work done in the backyard shed was likely for the most part assembly only. 10x15 isn't a whole lot of room for major machinery needed to fabricate parts. But that's just an opinion and not fact! Great questions by the way!!! It leaves one to wonder..............

Oh, and great quote Chris. That's very interesting to hear!!!
                                Cory,

Great minds think alike!

Once one get past the established official myth that is very rigid and confining, one's mind opens up with all sorts of possibilities that bring more people into the story, expand it greatly, and is far more interesting and involved.

You said it about the 10x15 shed being mostly an assembly area. So you gotta ask: Where was the rest of the work done? Even Wm.H. confided his hunch that a lot of it was in the Milwaukee Road railshops: "Hey Artie, give me your patterns once, and I'll have the boys down at the railshops cast them up for you." -- Wm. A.?
                                Herbert Wagner
                                AMCA 4634
                                =======

Comment

Working...
                                X