X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
    Cory I tried going there but it says "Not Found."

What is it exactly? Can you quote it?
    It's an ad for a motorcycle from W. Hoffman Motor Works out of Chicago. I can't seem to figure out how to capture the image at this point to post but for now suffice it to say that it looks a lot like an early Merkel and or H-D. Do you have info on this company in your records?
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by c.o. View Post
      It's an ad for a motorcycle from W. Hoffman Motor Works out of Chicago. I can't seem to figure out how to capture the image at this point to post but for now suffice it to say that it looks a lot like an early Merkel and or H-D. Do you have info on this company in your records?
      Yes, a fellow with some parts contacted me lately about the Hoffman motorcycle (also known as Chicago 400) and wants a picture of it. I have one from 1904. Possibly the same image you found. It also appears in Hatfield's book on American motorcycles but the quality is not too good.
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======
      The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• Herb, is that the earliest ad where they claim 1903 as their starting date? I don't recollect finding anything earlier. There are tons of ads from the early teens claiming 1901,02,03 as their starting date as you well know. Here's an ad from The Iowa Homestead 08-17-1911 claiming the bikes they built in 1901 are still running and they have covered 100,000 miles. Sound familier!

I hope you have a good new year. And write more articles please. I'm hopefully cured of
        my Lymes disease so I'm ready to go exploring again.

Dick
        Attached Files

Comment

this nice little harley engine showed up in sturgis a few days ago looking for chassis parts. i guess the next best thing to owning it is being able to tinker with it. this thing is in really nice shape.it kinda looked like there was some corrosion on the ebay pics ,but its all just light surface scale. no rust either really.all the numbers look very good.
          www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• timer's a little bent,probably from laying on the floor for so long.compression relief lever is still there.i wonder if the inside of the cam cover has numbers on it.

Comment

• Awesome!!!! It's good to hear that somebody....ie...."You" get to have a good look at that motor. I wonder if the buyer got any history with his purchase?
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

• www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• top motor mount has been made into a hole with a plug in it. also the top of the intake manifold where the throttle shaft goes has been soldered up.

Comment

• If there's any way you could keep us posted on the tinkerin' with this treasure it would be most appreciated!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

• cory, i'll try and share as much as i can on this piece of harley history.thankfully the new owner is really excited about this engine ,and is willing to let me share this with some of the experts on this forum.the story he was told is that this engine was sold on ebay by the son of a southern california man in his 80's.this man and his family have been involved in the picture cars industry in hollywood for a long time. friends with bud ekins and his gang ,this man was drawn into the antique motorcycle scene ,as part of his business.he has said that he owned this 1908 motor for almost 50 years. one thing i really noticed is the quality of the casting on the davidson part of the lettering. interesting.

Comment

• Thanks for the info! It's always interesting to know a story behind such a piece of history. That casting on those letters is definitely well done. It harkens back to a time when craftsmanship at a factory meant something.
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by pem View Post
                          Herb, is that the earliest ad where they claim 1903 as their starting date? I don't recollect finding anything earlier. There are tons of ads from the early teens claiming 1901,02,03 as their starting date as you well know. Here's an ad from The Iowa Homestead 08-17-1911 claiming the bikes they built in 1901 are still running and they have covered 100,000 miles. Sound familier!

I hope you have a good new year. And write more articles please. I'm hopefully cured of
                          my Lymes disease so I'm ready to go exploring again.

Dick
                          Having had Lyme disease myself TWICE already, I know how awful it can be. Glad you are over it. Didn't the doxycline (sic) knock it right out?

Skimming the last chapter of At the Creation, it looks like they first began issuing the "1903" myth in 1908. The 1908 "advance bulletin" had the full story as we now believe it to be true and correct. From 1908 on there are numerous "fib date" ads. I just found another one the other day claiming bikes were built & sold in 1901. That one from the teens.

Working on early 8-valve racing story now. I hope it turns out well. Digging and digging for new info.
                          Herbert Wagner
                          AMCA 4634
                          =======

Comment

• Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                            cory, i'll try and share as much as i can on this piece of harley history.thankfully the new owner is really excited about this engine ,and is willing to let me share this with some of the experts on this forum.the story he was told is that this engine was sold on ebay by the son of a southern california man in his 80's.this man and his family have been involved in the picture cars industry in hollywood for a long time. friends with bud ekins and his gang ,this man was drawn into the antique motorcycle scene ,as part of his business.he has said that he owned this 1908 motor for almost 50 years. one thing i really noticed is the quality of the casting on the davidson part of the lettering. interesting.
                            What a wonderful piece of H-D history! Looking at those letters and words on it, that thing almost does talk. Good story with it too.

It will be interesting to see if any of the internal parts are also numbered once it comes apart.
                            Herbert Wagner
                            AMCA 4634
                            =======

Comment

• the first thing i noticed was the number on the inside of the intake manifold. early harley carbs had their own numbering system of 3 numbers.which ,from what i have seen, have no relation to the vin number on the engine.it appears that the intake manifold was also numbered like the carb.at least if a new carb is put on this engine ,we will know what to number it.

Comment

• HD casting 2177

casting for orig motors 2177 and 2238, which are on both sides of 2221. Letters in Davidson look different to me, especially in the IDS part of DAVIDSON. Is it just my eyes?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X