the first Harley's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jurassic View Post
    Are those business cards with the rubber band around them?
    Anything interesting there ??
    Rick Morsher, aka Earl
    AMCA #1905

Comment

• Originally posted by c.o. View Post
      O.K. I'm almost going to burst! This story sounds more intriquing all the time! Very cool tool box by the way!
      I have to agree. I just recently came across a new(to me anyway)photo of a strap tank
      Harley. Has anybody else seen this one before?

Dick
      Attached Files

Comment

• O.K. I'm just going from my cloudy memory here. I've forgotten the fellows name but I believe the picture was taken around the same time that the 1908? photos of Walter Davidson on Chesnutt St were. The photo is already somewhere on this forum but it could take some digging to find it. Of course Herb would be able to fill in the blanks.......
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

• Your probably right. My memory is crap lately. It's still a cool photo.

later

Comment

• Definitely a cool photo...........
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

• shed replica

www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• shed

Comment

• Originally posted by Earl View Post
                  Are those business cards with the rubber band around them?
                  Anything interesting there ??
                  Those look like they are bits of ivory to replace the top of the white keys on a piano.
                  William McClean
                  AMCA # 60

Comment

• Boy there sure wasn't a whole lot of room in that shed was there? Here's a new pic I stumbled across.........I don't think it's been posted yet.......

Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

• i did purchase a few pictures from that great collection on ebay.this is one of them.there they go with that 1903 crap again.

Comment

• also bought this one

Comment

• i know we've seen these pics before,but these are nice original HD 8X10 copies. how can you date these pictures?they are still calling sno2 a 1906,which most agree it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                            i know we've seen these pics before,but these are nice original HD 8X10 copies. how can you date these pictures?they are still calling sno2 a 1906,which most agree it is.
                            I can tell you the date any negative was entered into the Pohlman files between negative number 13608 on 06/12/1934 and 37172 on 05/25/1988.This one is negative number 9431 and is not on my negative roster.
                            It is commonly thought that, that photo was taken in 1924. I say this because that negative number and negatives of several other teens and preteens machines are all together in between photos of the 1923/1924 models.
                            Be sure to visit;
                            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

• Yes, we have seen these photos before jurassic but not so clear. Thanks for sharing them. I think Chris is definitely in the ballpark with his dating of the negative. Would we then call that bike an early restoration? Surely after that many years if it was used at all it wouldn't look that good! Or was it just a good example that the factory picked up on their campaign to collect some earlier examples of their machines. I just read something on that picture somewhere but I've been pouring through so many books and magazines lately that I just can't remember where I seen it.

Now I have another question. Here's the add from early '07 on the "double".

Did any of the early straptank twins survive? I seem to recall reading an article that Herb wrote awhile back that said that possibly one example is still kicking around but I'm not positive on it. I believe he also let on that someone was recreating an example of one. But I'm not sure if it ever happened or if it was based on this model that has the pre-1907 type fork. I've got some more literature digging to do I guess!
                              Last edited by c.o.; 08-24-2009, 11:59 PM.
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by c.o. View Post

Did any of the early straptank twins survive? I seem to recall reading an article that Herb wrote awhile back that said that possibly one example is still kicking around but I'm not positive on it. I believe he also let on that someone was recreating an example of one. But I'm not sure if it ever happened or if it was based on this model that has the '06 type fork. I've got some more literature digging to do I guess!
                                Mike Parti was restoring one for somebody 10-12 years ago.
                                Be sure to visit;
                                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                                X