No announcement yet.

Double clincher rims for pre 1908

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Eric , thanks for the description , I should have said ages ago that I did find out , anyway interestingly , double clincher rims are now being used on bicycles , it seems that is the modern way to go on modern lightweight bikes !!!! I wonder if they'll make a comeback on motorcycles ??? see photo (hope I can attach) Ken
    Attached Files
    Ken

Comment

Well, I finally got my scanner to work, but just for two scans.(???) This is the two page "G & J" ad from the January 1, 1909, issue of the "Motorcycle Illustrated" magazine showing a cross section of a "double clincher" rim and their "double clincher" tire mounted on a rim.

scan0001.jpg scan0002.jpg

Comment

The cross section shows where the bead catches in two places. If you use a single clincher tire, you have to trim a small amount of rubber on the inside of the bead because the double clincher rim angles up between the two "clinchers". I have 8 or 9 double clincher rims. Most are like the G&J ad shown, but I think there was an oddball as well. I'll have to look.

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
          The cross section shows where the bead catches in two places. If you use a single clincher tire, you have to trim a small amount of rubber on the inside of the bead because the double clincher rim angles up between the two "clinchers". I have 8 or 9 double clincher rims. Most are like the G&J ad shown, but I think there was an oddball as well. I'll have to look.
          I have been told by two early Indian restorers that the new "28 X 2 1/2" Coker "G & J" tires will fit on original 1908 Indian rims, if, as you said, you trim the rubber on the inside of the bead. The other issue that occurs is that the new "G & J" tires are a bit wider and bigger around than the original "28 X 2 1/2" tires. As a result, the side of the tire rubs on the front fork and fender. The 1908 Indian sales catalog notes that "28 X 2 1/4" G & J tires are supplied. That seems to be the problem with the rubbing issue. The other issue is concern that the tires fitted as noted may not hold up for riding and may be a safety concern. They may be fitted just for display purposes only.
          Last edited by talbot-2; 01-11-2011, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I have made the Coker 28 x 2-1/2 buttons work. The 2-1/4 also work. Haven't tried the new G&J 2-1/2 tires yet. I wouldn't ride the bike over 20 mph with the modified bead on a double clincher. Never had a problem, but I am a little concerned about it. Clinchers never were the best design, and putting them on a rim they where the outside lip isn't as deep as normal makes me nervous.

Comment

Working...
            X