HELP with muffler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP with muffler

Can someone help with a question about a 1912 HD single muffler? There is a tube inside
    that has lots of holes drilled on one end. Do the holes point to the front or the back ?
    Thanks for any help........Rod

I dug through some stuff and came up with this. I don't know if it helps at all. Maybe jurassic or Earl would know???
    Attached Files
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Help with muffler

Thanks Cory, I appreciate your response.........Rod

Comment

Did it help? Not sure if it's quite the same as your setup would be......
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Help with muffler

Cory....The picture in your post shows the inlet and outlet on the same end of the muffler.
          The holes in the inner tube are on the opposite end. The 1912 muffler has inlet on one end and outlet on the other..I'm going to put the holes on the opposite end of the outlet. It probably does'nt make a difference either way. Thanks, Rod

Comment

Gotcha......... Good luck with your machine........ Your at the muffler stage are ya? By the way it seems like your onto something with your decided direction.Does that mean your nearly finished???
            Last edited by c.o.; 09-09-2008, 09:02 PM. Reason: broken thought pattern.....har..har...
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

I've got a long way to go,at least a year or better. I just put the engine in the frame to align the belt pulleys while trueing the rims. Thought i'd work the kinks out of the muffler system while I had the engine in.
              I have orig. engine, frame, handle bars, seat,front & rear hubs, and rear wheel clutch. The rest is parts from antique cycle works and competition dist.
              I'm going to leave the orig. parts in their "as found " condition, as far as looks go. The ropro
              parts and new sheet metal I'm going to put a coat of paint on, to make it look presentable, and ride it and have fun.
              Some day my grandson can take it all apart and restore it....I'm not
              It's been a fun project so far...Rod

Comment

Right on! There's just something extra special about an early harley! Have you seen the clips of Indian Jeff's machine on You Tube?

Here's a link to one..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EusdHAvlB1A

There's also about a dozen more with that bike.

You've got the right idea having fun with it. The early bikes are the true time machines.
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

hi rod,what exactly is the condition of your as found parts? if they are nice why not try to match the new stuff to the old stuff.especially if the engine is a sweet original. also ,nice score on the rear wheel clutch .that part is 10 times harder to find than the engine.sorry i dont have the info you need on the muffler,i'd have to take mine off.lonnie
                  www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Lonnie.....That may be the way I would go in the future. For now I just want to get it together and get it running good. The engine is in good shape over all , it sat on a dirt floor
                    so one side at the bottom has a little acne. I've had repaired, 6 fins on the top. It has a beautiful carb which I've rebuilt and an open mag, which is still hot. Motor will get taken down and gone through this winter. I'm kind of looking foreward to winter......Rod

Comment

Working...
                    X