No announcement yet.

Article about the "First Harley"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In re-reading through the thread exeric mentioned a machine that was pale green and owned by Lonnie. Is this it?
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
      Oh and does anybody know anything about this machine? In the book I found it in, it says it's an '09, but we all know that's incorrect now don't we?
      I'll bet the book was by a British author.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Oh and does anybody know anything about this machine? In the book I found it in, it says it's an '09, but we all know that's incorrect now don't we?
        Lonnie, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the bike that was once owned by your dad, (or still is)? I remember seeing it when he had his shop in Pearland when I was looking at the Bonger bike. Somewhere I have some photos. I remember it had a weird carb (European?) with the Star-of-David on it.

Comment

Here's another shot of a test run up Chestnut St. Man I wish I had a time machine!!!
          Cory,

That's a cool photo. Where did you find it? Did it say Chestnut St.? That's a pretty steep looking hill. I really like the building in the background where you can read the Blatz "Milwaukee's Finest" Beer advertisement. I still occasionally will buy Blatz beer, just for its "Est. 1851" Milwaukee history, altho today it is an el cheapo brew. Nice to see two Old Milwaukee icons in a single photo.

I'm pretty sure the guy riding that machine is Oscar Becker, one of the 5 Becker brothers who worked at Harley-D. Oscar is in a couple of very early c1907 photos.

Oscar
          Edwin (Sherbie)
          Ewald (Dutch)

I know there's two more...
          Herbert Wagner
          AMCA 4634
          =======
          The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Well Herb, my son waited in line to have Jean Davidson sign her "Family Album" book at Davenport in '07. It was just yesterday that I took a few minutes to have a spin through it. The caption beside the photo says, " A completed machine is put through it's paces climbing the hill on Chestnut Street to the side of the factory. At times, Walter Davidson used to test the new machines personally to doublecheck the quality level. He rode them alongside the railroad tracks behind the factory and the old-time workers used to tell how he even raced trains for fun when an old steam locomotive happened to come by." The photo is said to come from the Robert Jameson collection.

This photo from what I believe is from '07 is one of my favorites. These period photos leave one's imagination to wander...........
            Attached Files
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Well Herb, my son waited in line to have Jean Davidson sign her "Family Album" book at Davenport in '07. It was just yesterday that I took a few minutes to have a spin through it. The caption beside the photo says, " A completed machine is put through it's paces climbing the hill on Chestnut Street to the side of the factory. At times, Walter Davidson used to test the new machines personally to doublecheck the quality level. He rode them alongside the railroad tracks behind the factory and the old-time workers used to tell how he even raced trains for fun when an old steam locomotive happened to come by." The photo is said to come from the Robert Jameson collection.

This photo from what I believe is from '07 is one of my favorites. These period photos leave one's imagination to wander...........
              Bob is Hap Jameson's son, and Hap was also the legendary "Uncle Frank" of Q&A. There was a story about him in the AMCA mag a few issues ago, with a wonderful photo of his office at H-D with the fabulous "Steno."

Now I can't think of her name either!

I also like that 1907 employee line-up you mentioned. Those really were the "good old days" and wouldn't it be great to have worked there and then got to ride and own every new model that came out between 1905 and 1916? Wow! Boggles the mind. Plus good old Milwaukee beer, plus the countryside west and northwest out of Milwaukee is some of prettiest and best riding there is anywhere. Blue Mound Road was their main route from the Factory west out of the city. Also Fond du Lac Ave. to the NW.

The other two Beckers were Albert and Emil. I think all 5 of them are in the 1907 photo you mentioned. Albert Becker was one of the very early stockholders, and they bought land for factory expansion from Minnie Becker. The Beckers would known everything from day one. That's why the story of the hidden room cannot be dismissed out of hand.
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                Lonnie, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the bike that was once owned by your dad, (or still is)? I remember seeing it when he had his shop in Pearland when I was looking at the Bonger bike. Somewhere I have some photos. I remember it had a weird carb (European?) with the Star-of-David on it.
                hi jim,sorry for the slow response,been fishin in old mexico.that old green hodgepodge is my dads bike.he still has it.it was found in florida at least 30 years ago.only the second six bolt engine in captivity. the carb is an old dodge brothers i believe. the other parts on the bike were OEM stuff ,but from different years.lately we also noticed that most of the rear section of the frame was fabricated.it is apart now ,and being fixed up.check out that exhaust cutout.i dont ever remember seeing this on any other straps.could it be an early attempt?or a later refinement?
                www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

florida bike

www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

This bike is truely a leather "strap" tanker! You are probably right about the Dodge Bros carb.

As for bike in 599, it seems like there is another photo in a book or magazine that I have... the diamond shaped toolbox jogs something in what's left of the memory. I'll post it if I find anything.

Comment

As for bike in 599, it seems like there is another photo in a book or magazine that I have... the diamond shaped toolbox jogs something in what's left of the memory. I'll post it if I find anything.
                      Are you talking about a second and different photograph of the 599 Meyer-Sparough bike? So far as I know there is just the one photograph, the Neg. 599 photo we found at MCHS. But certainly more photos of that bike were taken considering its long career and it won't be surprising when another turns up. It's gotta happen sooner or later.
                      Herbert Wagner
                      AMCA 4634
                      =======

Comment

I looked through half my books tonight. Nothing yet, but it seems that I have seen a pic of that bike. I'll finish tomorrow night...

Comment

I looked through half my books tonight. Nothing yet, but it seems that I have seen a pic of that bike. I'll finish tomorrow night...
                          If another & different photo of that bike exists and turns up it would be a good discovery. I'm convinced other photos were taken of it. Now if we could just figure out what became of that first real Harley and what it's ultimate fate was. That would be big news.

That's our first $2 million dollar motorcycle!
                          Herbert Wagner
                          AMCA 4634
                          =======

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
                            If another & different photo of that bike exists and turns up it would be a good discovery. I'm convinced other photos were taken of it. Now if we could just figure out what became of that first real Harley and what it's ultimate fate was. That would be big news.

That's our first $2 million dollar motorcycle!
                            I wonder what motorcycle is behind brick # 2 ??
                            Rick Morsher, aka Earl
                            AMCA #1905

Comment

I looked through the rest of my books and found nothing except the same print 599. I guess that must have been the one that I recalled. You are right that it would probably be the first 2M bike if a '23 8-valve of Statnakov's brought 1M.

Comment

I looked through the rest of my books and found nothing except the same print 599. I guess that must have been the one that I recalled. You are right that it would probably be the first 2M bike if a '23 8-valve of Statnakov's brought 1M.
                                Thanks anyway for looking. As you know from 599, by 1912 the bike had been modified and repaired. So another photo could show it in original factory condition or at closer to it which is something we all want to know. It's good that knowledgeable guys like yourself are on the lookout!
                                Herbert Wagner
                                AMCA 4634
                                =======

Comment

Working...
                                X