Barn Find(well kinda)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn Find(well kinda)

The other post about the guy looking for photos of barn finds jogged my memory and I did
    some digging and came up with these photos. The photos are from Denny Eggert and the Minnesota Space and Air Museum who originally in the early 1990's found a 1911 Steco Aerohydroplane and Steco Cyclecars in a house and garage near Chicago. The airplane used a seven-cylinder 1909 Gnome "Omega" rotary engine made in France. Everything was in crates in pristine condition. The cyclecar car crates contained many NOS parts such as magnetos, rockers, valves, frames, wheels, leather v-belts and on and on. One cyclecar was restored and they are trying to get the Mack motor to run as we speak. The 1909 Gnome engine is now on a stand at the museum and they run it once a year as a fund raiser.

The Mack motor was re-engineered by the Steco Engineering Co. in 1913-14 and it had valve covers and a wet sump engine. They have all the wood molds and patterns and blueprints and drawings to make brand new motors and cyclecars. Unbelieveable!

Denny Eggert is now trying to get the videos and photographs into a documentary but has run out of money. They documented everything while they cleaned out the house, attic and garage and when they opened the crates. The videos and photographs are not available to the general public right now and neither are any of the parts. Don't bother contacting Denny to get parts or anything else. Nothing is for sale except a 20 minute fund raising video about the plane, cyclecar and museum.

Hopefully some day we will get to see the finished video of this magnificant find. I believe this was the oldest known Aeroplane discovery in the U.S.

Dick
    Attached Files

Thanks for the info re this. What a time capsule!
    Ken Kemp
    Nth Queensland
    AUSTRALIA
    Member # 8756

47 Chief
    2006 BMW K1200S
    Getting seriously interested in Vincent
    2010 Can Am Spyder RSS (The Wife made me do it!)
    SYM 125 Scooter

Comment

Yes, it's a wonderful find. Very very wonderful No doubt about it. But it's also a little sad that it wasn't the remainder of the Waverley-P.E.M.-Jefferson factory stuff leftover when they went belly up. Why couldn't it have been that stuff? (Shaking fist at the Fates).
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======
      The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Working...
      X